Re: Mob caps

  • Paquerette
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002
      Various 18th century cap patterns for sale:

      http://www.smoke-fire.com/period-impression-patterns-1.asp

      http://www.kannikskorner.com/patwomen.htm

      How to trim a straw hat:
      http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/atopthe.htm

      Some *really, really* inexpensive ready-made caps for sale (most less
      than $10!) http://www.headcoverings.com/

      A tricorn can be made by simply tacking up the brim of a wide-brimmed
      hat in three places.

      While the stereotypical round drawstring mobcap isn't, by all accounts
      I've read, correct for 18th century, it conveys the "look" to people,
      and you shouldn't need a pattern for it. Just cut two huge circles of
      white fabric, sew the two pieces together inside out most of the way,
      and then turn it inside out and sew the rest. Then make two seams a bit
      farther in, about 1/2" apart from each other. Make a buttonhole by hand
      through one layer of the fabric somewhere between the two seams. Thread
      a ribbon through with a safety pin, and there's your drawstring. Does
      this make any sense? Sorry I can't be more help on the dimensions, might
      be sort of guesswork trial and error thing, balancing how much brim you
      want vs. how much poofiness on the head.

      Good luck!
      Jeni.