Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Suggestions?

  • sylvia
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
      Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Suggestions? on 11/2/02 1:41 PM, jfong52 at jfong52@... wrote:

      Hello,

      I was just given an awful assignment in History class, and I have no
      idea what to do. On Nov. 29, I have to dress up in 1920s clothing, but
      I have nothing to wear! Plus, I'm going to be marked on this...and my
      teacher is not an easy marker. (He expects the class to go out and buy
      stuff or actually make it- and I don't have time to sew anything)

      Are you in high school or college?  If in high school, I don't see how a teacher can require something like this.

      Sylvia E
    • jfong52
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
        Hello,

        I was just given an awful assignment in History class, and I have no
        idea what to do. On Nov. 29, I have to dress up in 1920s clothing, but
        I have nothing to wear! Plus, I'm going to be marked on this...and my
        teacher is not an easy marker. (He expects the class to go out and buy
        stuff or actually make it- and I don't have time to sew anything)

        Do any of you have suggestions as to where I can find a flapper
        costume or any other 1920s costumes?
      • Melvin Fretz

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
            Hi Sylivia--
            Knee-length pleated skirt (could be stright skirt if pleated unavailable). Blouse, untucked and worn over skirt, to make it look like a dropped-waist (best if the blouse had a straight hem; could also be a sweater. Stockings/pantyhose with a sheen (so they look like silk) and draw a dark brown line up the back of your legs with eyebrow pencil to be the seam. Simple pumps with a 1" heel (shoes with a stap over the instep especially good). Long string of pearls or beads (Mardi Gras beads OK). Fold a scarf so that it's 4" wide and tie it around your head, so that it's just above your eyes.
            Good luck! Bev Bullock

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
              Good idea! You might also add a wide contrasting
              ribbon at the hip, bow at the Ft hip line. This does
              seem a lot like buying your grade and unfair to
              anyone who cannot afford to make or rent a costume.
              Good luck Peggy

              --- Beverly Bullock <bbullock2000@...> wrote:
              > Hi Sylivia--
              > Knee-length pleated skirt (could be stright skirt if
              > pleated unavailable). Blouse, untucked and worn over
              > skirt, to make it look like a dropped-waist (best if
              > the blouse had a straight hem; could also be a
              > sweater. Stockings/pantyhose with a sheen (so they
              > look like silk) and draw a dark brown line up the
              > back of your legs with eyebrow pencil to be the
              > seam. Simple pumps with a 1" heel (shoes with a stap
              > over the instep especially good). Long string of
              > pearls or beads (Mardi Gras beads OK). Fold a scarf
              > so that it's 4" wide and tie it around your head, so
              > that it's just above your eyes.
              > Good luck! Bev Bullock

              HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
              http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
            • artemisiakore
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
                <<--- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., sylvia <sylvia@n...> wrote:
                Are you in high school or college? If in high school, I don't see
                how a teacher can require something like this.>>

                If it's a public high-school, a complaint could be taken to the local
                school board. If it's college, well, speaking as a college student,
                that sort of thing happens a lot. I've taken art and costuming
                classes, and the students are expected to buy their own materials. Of
                course, it's not really the same thing, I suppose.

                AK
              • rjones4
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
                  Hi!

                  You might want to get a slip in your size. The material can look very
                  luxurious. You'll then have the spaghetti straps and a simple straight line
                  dress. Add additional satin-like material for a 3" to 4" edge around the
                  bottom; add a bow of the same material, and you've got a nifty dress.
                  Remember, the 1920's was an era when just about anything was accepted, and
                  not for the faint hearted. So, if teacher wants something authentic, some
                  rogue, lip color and eye shadow would be in order. Don't be shy with the
                  eyeliner either. If you can, take a look at some of the pictures of Betty
                  Boop - you can go wrong if you follow her lead.

                  Best of luck!

                  Ray

                  > I was just given an awful assignment in History class, and I have no
                  > idea what to do. On Nov. 29, I have to dress up in 1920s clothing, but
                  > I have nothing to wear! Plus, I'm going to be marked on this...and my
                  > teacher is not an easy marker. (He expects the class to go out and buy
                  > stuff or actually make it- and I don't have time to sew anything)
                  >
                  > Do any of you have suggestions as to where I can find a flapper
                  > costume or any other 1920s costumes?

                • Paquerette
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
                    artemisiakore wrote:

                    > <<--- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., sylvia <sylvia@n...> wrote:
                    > Are you in high school or college? If in high school, I don't see
                    > how a teacher can require something like this.>>
                    >
                    > If it's a public high-school, a complaint could be taken to the local
                    > school board. If it's college, well, speaking as a college student,
                    > that sort of thing happens a lot. I've taken art and costuming
                    > classes, and the students are expected to buy their own materials. Of
                    > course, it's not really the same thing, I suppose.
                    >
                    > AK

                    For college, any project major enough to require purchasing stuff should
                    be mentioned in the syllabus. That way at least you can switch classes
                    early on if you don't like the idea.

                    For a high school class, maybe they could make an option of doing a
                    small research paper on period clothing and just do your presentation in
                    something vaguely close that you have or can borrow. That way you can
                    get into the spirit for the presentation, and also show that you're not
                    trying to slack off on the costume aspect.

                    Jeni.
                  • Siebel San
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
                      I don't know how authentic he expects you to be, but if you
                      want a quick and dirty flapper get-up, just make a simple
                      tube dress with lots of fringe and sequins on it. Talk to
                      someone in the theatre department of your school, explain
                      the circumstances, and maybe they'll lend you something.
                      Besides ranshacking costume shops or having someone make it
                      for you, I don't know what else you could do. What a
                      rotten teacher. he could have at least given you more
                      notice.
                      Jessica

                      =====
                      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                    • digital.princess
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
                        I need to make a few costumes for a parade, the problem is I have to re-
                        create sculptural forms as the costumes. They must be light weight
                        enough for the person to walk in them during the parade, but not lose
                        their basic shape. Has anyone done something similar? I thought maybe
                        fabric stiffened with something like a paper-mache or glue? Or a foam?
                        Some of them have to be colored/painted. I thought quilted fabric would
                        be too heavy...
                        Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
                      • Curtis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "digital.princess"
                          <digital.princess@...> wrote:

                          > I thought maybe
                          > fabric stiffened with something like a paper-mache or glue? Or a foam?

                          I haven't done anything as ambitions as a parade costume this way, but
                          I have made a lot of masks using glue-stiffened fabric, and had a lot
                          of success with them. I've done anything from a simple
                          masquerade-type mask all the way up to an entire donkey head (for
                          Midsummer Night's Dream), and haven't had any trouble with them losing
                          their shape while in use (though if they aren't stored carefully, they
                          can de-form over time if weight is resting on them.)

                          The biggest challenge I see to applying the technique would be getting
                          them to hold form long enough to dry...but if you've got a large
                          enough form and the time to let them sit for a while (and a lot of
                          glue!), it works really well.

                          I've also made masks from fiberglass...which has the benefit of being
                          far more resilient and setting to form much more quickly, but has the
                          burden of being much more tricky to work with (and that's even before
                          you throw in the issue of the fumes!) I even made a large creature
                          head for a haunted house, years ago...fiberglass over chicken wire,
                          with a 1x2 wood frame inside. For the size, it was really light,
                          though if I had it to do over again, I think I'd sacrifice a little
                          weight to get more definition (being in a haunted house, where it was
                          dark, that wasn't a major issue...)

                          I know a lot of the large mascot-type costumes use fiberglass shells
                          for the heads. But it's not a technique to be tried by the idly curious.
                        • Alexadbw@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                            A church in CA does a pageant every Easter which depicts life size versions
                            of famous religious paintings. It is based on "The Pageant of the Masters" in
                            Laguna Beach (HIlls?) Actors pose in and on the paintings and sculptures, and
                            the costumes are stiffened and sculptured. They start with fabric and
                            stiffen it so that it does not move, and actually looks like a sculpture. You can
                            see a couple of examples in the second and third videos. The third is from
                            the original pageant. The videos are really fascinating ,especially those
                            involving the make up.

                            I was never really involved with the sculpture part of the pageant, only
                            sewing one garment which was then stiffened. I usually worked with the actors
                            who were in the play which tied the 11 or so art pieces together in a story
                            line.

                            All this to say that it might be possibe to contact either pageant and ask
                            what they use in the way of fabric and stiffener. The garment I made was of a
                            cotton knit....t shirt type, and not really top quality. Since your
                            model/actors will need to move you may want a more substancial fabric and
                            construction before applying any stiffener.

                            Good luck.
                            Alexa

                            You

                            _http://www.pageantofourlord.com/vidPool.htm_
                            (http://www.pageantofourlord.com/vidPool.htm)

                            _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WF0wamdpgA&feature=related_
                            (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WF0wamdpgA&feature=related)

                            _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QueB5uNLVhk&feature=related_
                            (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QueB5uNLVhk&feature=related)

                            _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-vXDEV_GQ&feature=related_
                            (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-vXDEV_GQ&feature=related)

                            In a message dated 4/24/2008 8:06:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            digital.princess@... writes:

                            the problem is I have to re-
                            create sculptural forms as the costumes.

                            listings at AOL Autos.

                          • geneiak
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 24, 2008
                              not sure exactly waht you mean by sculptural forms but headliner
                              might work-
                              usually available at fabric stores-
                              it is what is found in the ceiling of cars-
                              comes in different colors and can be cut iwth scissors and sewn on a
                              machine-

                              retshopbuyer

                              <digital.princess@...> wrote:

                              > I need to make a few costumes for a parade, the problem is I have to
                              re-
                              > create sculptural forms as the costumes. They must be light weight
                              > enough for the person to walk in them during the parade, but not lose
                              > their basic shape. Has anyone done something similar? I thought maybe
                              > fabric stiffened with something like a paper-mache or glue? Or a
                              foam?
                              > Some of them have to be colored/painted. I thought quilted fabric
                              would
                              > be too heavy...
                              > Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

                            • bainaashanti
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 25, 2008
                                My suggestion would be fusible interfacing. You can get it at any
                                fabric store and probably any Walmart that still sells fabric. It
                                comes in different degrees of stiffening power, and is almst tissue
                                thin so it won't add weight to fabric. The best part is that it can
                                be ironed on to the pieces before you sew them together, the ironing
                                process is what stiffens it. To make it really stff may require a
                                special weight, but they are always glad to answer questions at the
                                fabric store. It's not period correct, but no one will see it.
                                Hope this helps!

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 26, 2008
                                  I'd like to say thanks to everyone for all the great advice. What I
                                  have to do, basically, is make costumes (for people to wear while
                                  walking in a parade) that are based on large outdoor sculptures. While
                                  most are basically human-shaped, some are not. I will be trying out the
                                  suggestions, and if it works out I'll take photos and record the
                                  process, in case it would help out anyone else!

                                  Thanks again.

                                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "geneiak"