finding stuff

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Aloha, I am also a children/high school theater costumer, here in Hawaii
      where finding certain items is very difficult. I recently began looking on
      ebay for an old kilt I can use to follow for making kilts for BRIGADOON. I
      made contact with someone who sells old clothes who said she'd keep an eye
      out for my hard-to-find things. She was really nice and I bought several
      REALLY great dresses that would make great costumes for around $5 each.
      Just an idea to pass on, for those who enjoy remodeling old clothes into
      costumes. I like to do that, as well as new construction. ALSO I came up
      with a great idea to make hairy feet for a hobbit costume, as THE HOBBIT is
      my next play. For my grandsons Halloween costume, we cut the tops off a
      small pair of tight socks. I put the sock around a can of soup to hold
      tightly. Then I cut small pieces of curly hair off the wig he'd wear and
      hot-glued them to the top of the sock. The sock then slipped easily over
      his foot and VOILA: Hairy feet. I don't know if this works, but I'm
      attaching a photo of Zeke as Frodo. Happy costuming! POPPY SHELL on Kauai

      Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.� Try MSN!
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
        That picture was the custes thing I've seen in a long
        time!!! I love it!
        Jessica (whew, I was talkative today)

        ALSO I came up
        > with a great idea to make hairy feet for a hobbit
        > costume, as THE HOBBIT is
        > my next play. For my grandsons Halloween costume, we cut
        > the tops off a
        > small pair of tight socks. I put the sock around a can
        > of soup to hold
        > tightly. Then I cut small pieces of curly hair off the
        > wig he'd wear and
        > hot-glued them to the top of the sock. The sock then
        > slipped easily over
        > his foot and VOILA: Hairy feet. I don't know if this
        > works, but I'm
        > attaching a photo of Zeke as Frodo. Happy costuming!
        > POPPY SHELL on Kauai
        > Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.� Try
        > MSN!

        > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/pjpeg name=frodobaggins.JPG

        =====
        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
      • Donna Barnes-Haesemeyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
          I costumed The Hobbit afew years ago. It was a blast! The version of
          the play we performed had "goblins," whom we costumed with all kinds
          of "found" objects--shields made from hub caps, stove pipe gauntlets,
          a huge tortoise shell that we used as a chest plate. Our community
          theatre gets a lot of donations of fur coats. Some of the really sad
          ones we cut up to make furry leggings.

          Your idea for the hobbit feet is interesting. Hope it works well for
          you. We just used spirit gum to glue crepe hair on the kids' feet.
          Good luck with your production! It's a really fun play to produce!

          Donna
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Siebel San <siebelsan@y...> wrote:
          > That picture was the custes thing I've seen in a long
          > time!!! I love it!
          > Jessica (whew, I was talkative today)
          >
          > ALSO I came up
          > > with a great idea to make hairy feet for a hobbit
          > > costume, as THE HOBBIT is
          > > my next play. For my grandsons Halloween costume, we cut
          > > the tops off a
          > > small pair of tight socks. I put the sock around a can
          > > of soup to hold
          > > tightly. Then I cut small pieces of curly hair off the
          > > wig he'd wear and
          > > hot-glued them to the top of the sock. The sock then
          > > slipped easily over
          > > his foot and VOILA: Hairy feet. I don't know if this
          > > works, but I'm
          > > attaching a photo of Zeke as Frodo. Happy costuming!
          > > POPPY SHELL on Kauai
          > > Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try
          > > MSN!
          > >
          > http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp
          > >

          > > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/pjpeg name=frodobaggins.JPG
          >

          > =====
          > Visit my website! www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/
          > http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
        • Donna Barnes-Haesemeyer