  • Manxminx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
      In regards to the black fabric your looking for...... If you have a JoAnne's
      fabric store look for something called bubble gauze..... it's perfect. We
      have Walmart here in my home town too. I adore the dollar table.... I have
      made some of my best cloaks from that wool collection. I am a Physical Rehab
      RN and don't collect alot of stuff from the unit....... but sometimes
      patients who have CPM's don't want the wooly fabric that was used on their
      machines...... it makes nice lamb costumes...... and the suture scissors that
      are not used from a one use kit....( the docs use the tweezers and toss the
      rest) are good for cutting seam edges and needle work. Good luck in your
      costuming.
      Manxminx
    • Sarah P
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
        Hello there!

        This is The Raven. I'm new to this e-group thing, but already I think I
        like it. Sort of like a chat room but it's e-mail. ^_^

        You work with 4-H? Wonderful! I used to be in that club, even went to
        Nationals with Dairy Judging one year. Wish my county had've done horses,
        but it's small and isn't much of a farming county anymore like it was when I
        was there. Gee, that was only 6 years ago--how fast a place builds up!

        Anyway, I've got an idea for you about armor. I'm not sure if it would
        work, since I never have a chance or reason to build it (our theatre company
        doesn't often go for the flashy or unusual with its season choices), but
        here it is:

        Naugahide is wonderfully heavy-gauge vinyl used with upholstery and can be
        sewn into most shapes. Spray-paint with metallic paints or with a solution
        of white glue and bronzing powder, which can be aged by adding black paint a
        little at a time until desired color is reached. Gold turns to bronze or
        antiqued gold, silver into tarnished silver (highlight with un-adulterated
        silver), and copper the same. Adding decoration can be done with hot-glue,
        if it isn't too hot, and this can also be painted. Paint comes last. Fake
        jewels can also be hot-glued on. Naugahide can be found at JoAnn's,
        Hancock's, or any local fabric store that sells upholstery fabric.

        Leather is also a wonderful metal-substitute, so I've heard, because it
        paints well, can be shaped to any shape, and is stiff like metal when it
        isn't suede and is of a higher gauge than 4oz. weight. Tandy Leather
        Factory and other leather suppliers sell this stuff. Problem is, it's
        expensive. I'd love to use it for mask-work, but never have the budget.

        A heavy felt can also be used for armor-making--with a little help from
        every theatre costumer's friend: Sculpt-o-Coat! This stuff is a
        concentrated form of Elmer's white glue and is so thick it can stand up on
        its own. Dries clear, can be textured or smooth like glass (or metal) and
        stiffens any fabric. Thick felt is good for absorbing shock, such as sword,
        fist, mace, or whatever middle-ages weaponry can dish up--if it isn't real,
        i.e. made for stage. Paint like naugahide.

        Another substance I love and work often with is Thermoplastic, a type of
        "fabric" that's cheesecloth imbedded in a hot-glue or plastic matrix. It's
        as hard as Tupperware, not very bendable, and can be cut and formed to any
        shape. It comes in huge rolls, like fabric rolls. To form it, take a
        heat-gun and heat the thermoplastic until it softens (but NOT until it turns
        clear!!). Remove the heat and shape as soon as it cools enough to touch
        without being hot enough to burn and work until it won't stick to itself
        anymore. Seams can be made by heating two edges and sticking together
        edge-on-edge and smoothing the heated plastic. This also works for getting
        rid of creases and unwanted folds. Shave with exacto-knife and heat and
        smooth edges. Finish the piece with Sculpt-o-Coat or several layers of
        Elmer's glue--enough to get rid of the fabricy texture and paint. A
        hair-dryer set on its hottest setting might work too, but might take longer
        to soften the plastic. Hot-glue can be used to stick two pieces together,
        but it doesn't work as well as re-heating the points you want put together.
        Make sure everything is the way you want it before painting or coating in
        glue! ((CAUTION: heat-guns are extremely HOT. **I cannot emphasize this
        enough!!!!** The air coming out of one is hot enough to fry an egg with in
        only a minute or less--and crisp it. I've singed the dryer in the laundry
        room once or twice with our gun and accidentally sat it on a plastic surface
        and a piece of paper towel before realizing where it was--melted the plastic
        and charred the paper where it touched. NEVER touch the metal end of the
        heat-gun! And NEVER let it touch anything remotely combustible or meltable!
        But they are wonderful for achieving great melting of things and for
        working Thermoplastic!))

        Paper doilies and such things can also be used for texturing and are much
        less expensive than placemats and netting for getting decorative texturing
        on flat surfaces. Again, Elmer's sticks everything together and paint
        covers all. I saw a BEAUTIFUL headress/mask at the SouthEastern Theatre
        Conference a couple of years ago that was covered in cut-out doilies that
        had been applied to the colored helmet surface and were painted a shining
        gold. Antlers had been made of tree branches with Spanish Moss made from
        surging thread that had been surged back and forth on a 3, 4, or 6 thread
        surger on something like transfer paper or a thin backing or some sort that
        could be pulled away from the thread without leaving clumps or bits. I
        don't remember what had been used when we made the costume for Caliban in
        Shakespeare's "Tempest". I think there's some sort of stuff that looks like
        a thin plastic that disolves in water. I don't know what it's called.

        I hope this helps you. I know the felt thing and the paper doilies works
        well, and the bronzing powder in white glue with paint for dulling and
        shading. Thermoplastic also works, as does leather. Naugahide is easier to
        get, but I can't think of a way to stiffen it further. It's odd stuff. And
        with chainmail I'm clueless. Wish I could help more. Have fun.

        ****Raven****

        ^_^ (Raven is the name I go by when working at Girl Scout summer camp. The
        tradition is that the kids have to guess the counselor's name by the end of
        the week and the first one to get the right name gets to keep the secret--or
        can blab it to the rest of the camp, whichever.)

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • rermisch
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
          Hi!
          The knit stuff that I found recently is in the catalogue for Theatre
          House in Covington, Kentucky. They have an mail order service. The fabric
          comes in a narrow tube form and I use it to make leggs and arms which I
          attlach to a blackstretch torso. My knights have tabards over top their
          "chain mail". Also if you love brocades then call Baer Fabrics at
          1-800-769-7776. They are not cheap but they send out watch cards and only
          charged me for the very first one they sent out. After that they just sent
          them on . I needed to get some brocades for some colonial suits and they
          sent me about 115 different types and all worked out quite well. They
          ranged in prices from
          ----- Original Message ----- $5.00 to 30.00 a yd.