Re: Laughing Moon Corset pattern

  • Lynne Seavers
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2002
      Hello everyone, I'm new to the list and thought I'd add my two cents worth!
      My first Victorian corset was also the Laughing Moon Dore pattern (listed as
      Victorian Underwear #100 on the web site). It was easy and fits great!
      Everyone I know that has made it raves.(To the gal that is having trouble
      getting a catalog- I know Joann Peterson, the owner and pattern drafter of
      Laughing Moon (she live near me, and is a wonderful, helpful, person)- I
      sent her a copy of your email, so I'm thinking you might get message from
      her) The web site is : www.lafnmoon.com and has all of her patterns on it,
      with photo's and pattern info.
      Here is a picture of the Dore Corset done in a beautiful red satin coutil
      layered over regular cotton coutil, inside layer (the one next to your
      chemise) is cotton.

      here is the what comes in the pattern:

      I use Greenberg and Hammer (in NY City) for supplies, you have to call for a
      catalog- no web presence. 1-800-955-5135. Cotton Corset Coutil was $11.00 a
      yard last I bought some. They have busks and boneing- the prices are the
      cheapest I've found. Another great resource is
      http://www.farthingales.on.ca/home.htm- good info on corsets, it may help
      you make up your mind on what pattern to use. Hope this helps. PS- the
      pattern has boning channels sewn in, however- you may add more channels and
      bones for more support if you are full busted. When I made mine Joann had me
      add some to the side front of the bust this purpose. Lynne

      From: Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@...>
      2. Re: Corsets
      From: "Bjarne og Leif Drews" <drewscph@...>
      3. Re: Corsets
      From: Paquerette <paquerette@...>
      4. Re: Corsets
      From: "Moira" <moefen@...>
      5. Corsets
      From: Anne Redish <ar11@...>
      6. Re: Corsets
      From: "vintageconnection" <kriswrite@...>
      7. Re: (no subject)
      From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
      8. Re: (no subject)
      From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
      9. Re: Re: Corsets
      From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
      10. patterns
      From: "Raun Norby" <randrean@...>
      11. Re: Re: Corsets
      From: "Bjarne og Leif Drews" <drewscph@...>
      12. Re: boning source
      From: Paquerette <paquerette@...>
      13. RE: Corsets
      From: "Andrea Bertone" <andrea@...>
      14. RE: Corsets
      From: peggy salvail <psalvail@...>
      15. OT: Cigna cancer donation for a click
      From: Kate <castalusoria@...>
      16. Re: boning source
      From: "michaela de bruce" <vcairistiona@...>
      17. Re: (no subject)
      From: fanfetish@...
      18. Re: Re: boning source
      From: fanfetish@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@...>
      Subject: Re: Corsets

      --- Diana Kolbe <dlk182@...> wrote:
      Keep in mind, though, that if your boning
      > is inbetween two
      > layers of fabric, it may be more difficult to
      > incorporate the idea of
      > making it removable. (A great idea, BTW).
      >
      > Diana

      My thought on "removable boning" was this...
      Putting the channels between the layers, finishing the
      top as you normally would, and then to finish off the
      bottom. Adding some kind of trim stiching it down
      securely between the bones, and then using a larger
      stich that could be easily removed in the spots where
      the chanels were. If I finished the edges of the
      corset before I put it together I would not have a
      fraying problem, thus solving the problem of hiding
      the unfinished edge, making it removeable, while
      apearing as if it is finished.

      In my mind this clicks, but I have been on sensory
      overload this week so please tell me if I missed
      something.
      Thank You
      Terri

      P.S.
      I got an e-mail from some well meaning folk who asked
      why wasn't I "smart" enough to take my corset off
      before it go to this point. I will not reply to this
      person, however I will make it known to the list.

      Many times I am involved with event organisers,
      fashion shows, and several other aspects of keeping an
      event moving and flowing.
      While I did know that the corset was rubbing, I did
      not know to what degree, By the time I realized it had
      caused this much damage, I was about to do a fashion
      show presentation, and then a workshop on how to
      recover parasols, and then help feed the re-enactors
      and then a presentation on period correct head wear.
      And then a formal dance that I was required to attend.

      The period correct fit of a civil war dress, is snug
      to say the least. None of my dresses fit without a
      corset. And I was not able to remove myself from my
      obligations. I am the type of person that follows
      through once I have given my word. However friends
      were behind me lifting up my bodice to remove the
      boning that had popped out and to change gauze pads.

      However on Sunday I wore a blouse, and one of my
      skirts so I could avoid the corset. However on
      Saturday, I had nothing to change into. So this was
      not a matter of how "smart" I am, it was a matter of
      obligation.

      Please refrain from using my personal e-mail address
      for your degrading nasty remarks.

      http://faith.yahoo.com

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:38:03 +0200
      From: "Bjarne og Leif Drews" <drewscph@...>

      Hello you poor thing.
      I think it is very bad, that she refuses to take it back, 150 dollars is not
      cheap!
      If i were you, i would use calico. Calico you use to make muck up dresses
      of.
      Before you cut it, you boil the calico and iron it afterwards.
      Then it wont shrink.
      For boning i would recomend you to use either wood or plastic. I use plastic
      from Wissner in Germany, and i have heard that you can get it in USA also.
      Plastic is very easy to use, because you can cut off the sharp points and
      get quite rounded edges. You dont have to use those metal things for the
      edges of bones.
      And above all it is just as good as steel!!!
      If you want it to be very period accurate you could use linen fabric, but it
      is a little difficult to work with because it is very stretchy.
      Calico is just as good, and it is cheap.

      This is my advises for you, i have made many many corsets, so i know where
      it hearts!!!

      Bjarne Drews in Copenhagen, Denmark
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:28:54 -0400
      From: Paquerette <paquerette@...>

      <<If you want it to be very period accurate you could use linen fabric,
      but it is a little difficult to work with because it is
      very stretchy. Calico is just as good, and it is cheap.>>

      I don't find linen to be stretchy. I guess it depends on what linen you
      get, but most linens I've worked with are quite sturdy. My 18th century
      stays are two layers of linen/cotton, with a layer of cotton duck in
      between. The bones are spring steel, in cotton casings sewn to the duck.
      I do ask quite a bit of this corset, but it hadn't let me down until I
      started shrinking. :) I just need to move the lacing now.

      <<If i were you, i would use calico. Calico you use to make muck up
      dresses of.
      Before you cut it, you boil the calico and iron it afterwards. Then it
      wont shrink.>>

      I think your calico is our muslin. I think that would work for a
      lighter-duty corset. How many layers do you use?

      <<For boning i would recomend you to use either wood or plastic. I use
      plastic from Wissner in Germany, and i have heard that you can get it in
      USA also.
      Plastic is very easy to use, because you can cut off the sharp points
      and get quite rounded edges. You dont have to use those metal things for
      the edges of bones.
      And above all it is just as good as steel!!!>>

      I'm kind of against the plastic boning. When it gets warm from wearing
      it, it molds into your shape. I have a cheap bodice with plastic bones,
      and after 5 or 6 wearings, the bottom front of it now points out, and
      the bust is starting to curve out. It looks like an extremely
      exaggerated hourglass. :/

      Jeni.

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:28:04 -0000
      From: "Moira" <moefen@...>

      Hi all,

      If you are interested in making your own corsets a couple of really
      good resources are:

      Corset construction Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/corsetconstruction/?yguid=31128213

      How to's at Waisted.com
      http://www.waisted.com/

      and the books "Waisted Efforts", an extremely well researched and
      documented book written by a historical costumer at Louisbourg, and
      of course, Corsets and Crinolines by Norah Waugh.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Paquerette <paquerette@a...> wrote:

      > <<If you want it to be very period accurate you could use linen
      fabric,
      > but it is a little difficult to work with because it is
      > very stretchy. Calico is just as good, and it is cheap.>>
      >
      > I don't find linen to be stretchy. I guess it depends on what linen
      you
      > get, but most linens I've worked with are quite sturdy. My 18th
      century
      > stays are two layers of linen/cotton, with a layer of cotton duck in
      > between. The bones are spring steel, in cotton casings sewn to the
      duck.
      > I do ask quite a bit of this corset, but it hadn't let me down
      until I
      > started shrinking. :) I just need to move the lacing now.
      >
      > <<If i were you, i would use calico. Calico you use to make muck up
      > dresses of.
      > Before you cut it, you boil the calico and iron it afterwards. Then
      it
      > wont shrink.>>
      >
      > I think your calico is our muslin. I think that would work for a
      > lighter-duty corset. How many layers do you use?
      >
      > <<For boning i would recomend you to use either wood or plastic. I
      use
      > plastic from Wissner in Germany, and i have heard that you can get
      it in
      > USA also.
      > Plastic is very easy to use, because you can cut off the sharp
      points
      > and get quite rounded edges. You dont have to use those metal
      things for
      > the edges of bones.
      > And above all it is just as good as steel!!!>>
      >
      > I'm kind of against the plastic boning. When it gets warm from
      wearing
      > it, it molds into your shape. I have a cheap bodice with plastic
      bones,
      > and after 5 or 6 wearings, the bottom front of it now points out,
      and
      > the bust is starting to curve out. It looks like an extremely
      > exaggerated hourglass. :/
      >
      > Jeni.

      Message: 5
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:08:17 -0400
      From: Anne Redish <ar11@...>
      Subject: Corsets

      Re corsets - yes, a newbie can make successful corsets. Read on !
      I made some corsets two years ago for the first time (or the first
      'serious' corset making). I was making them without concern for historic
      materials accuracy. I read numerous resources about corset making,
      including many good sites online. I used a Mantua-maker 1720-1790 stays
      pattern - which I found out is not the easiest to follow - but I had great
      help from the vendor with numerous conversations online and on-phone. Our
      budget didn't allow for top-notch materials so I turned creative. I used a
      fine but very dense ticking found in our Fabricland/Joanne's sale aisle
      (preshrunk) for the inner layers, and a heavy (almost canvas) cotton twill
      (preshrunk)for the next-to skin-lining. The 'fashion' fabric of the dress
      was used for the 'top-front' layer. Rather than regular 'boning' I used
      3/8" wide cable ties available from Home Depot. They are nylon (I think),
      cheap, come about 2 feet - 30" long and can be easily cut to any length
      with sturdy scissors (or tin-snips), and trimmed on an angle for fit in any
      angled channel. I had no waste, since I planned the use of each length as I
      went along to avoid waste. The corsets I did were not totally boned - ie I
      left every 4th or so channel open - to allow some air and flex. The top and
      bottom edge handwork was VERY time consuming, but resulted in a VERY sturdy
      top and bottom edge, with so far no 'bones' poking out. The pattern can be
      done with as much boning as you want. This process resulted in 3 sturdy and
      machine washable corsets that are used by students regularly for rehearsals
      and shows.
      Pattern vendor and support: Lorina at
      http://www.5rivers.org/
      Anne Redish
      Theatre Wardrobe Coordinator
      Department of Drama, Rm 020
      Queen's University,
      Kingston, Ontario
      613-533-6000 x75359
      ar11@...

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:33:29 -0000
      From: "vintageconnection" <kriswrite@...>

      There is really no excuse for that happening to you--on your first
      wearing of the corset, especially. She really ought to give you your
      money back.

      An excellent corset pattern that I've used frequently is this one
      from Past Patterns:

      http://www.pastpatterns.com/213.html

      It actually dates a little later than the Civil War era, but would be
      serviceable for your purposes. If you really want to be very
      accurate, Past Patterns is an excellent source; they have a variety
      of patterns.

      I've found that using coutil is comfortable (it breathes well) and
      very durable. You can buy coutil fabric at most costume supply
      houses, including AlterYears:

      http://www.alteryears.com/supplies/Corset_sup.html

      AlterYears also sells boning. I suggest the 1/4 inch wide flat steel
      boning. It comes in a variety of sizes, so you don't need to worry
      about cutting it and them trying to seal off the ends so they don't
      dig into your skin. It also is firm, yet flexible. In addition, they
      sell bone casing, which is helpful, although whenever possible, I
      prefer to stitch channels for the boning.

      Have fun!

      Kristina

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hello-
      > Recently (two weeks ago) I bought a custom made
      > corset, for the smashing price of $150.00. Long story
      > short, I wore it for one day and had bloody scabbs
      > from where the boning had gone through the corset, my
      > chemise and me. The woman refuses to take the corset
      > back because she said I am to big for it.
      > First of all this thing was supposed to have been
      > custom made, and it had 2 1/2 inches of spring in the
      > back.
      >
      > I am not that knowledgeable about corsets, but I
      > thought that amount of spring was within the fitting
      > range. The corset was comfortable with the exception
      > of where it was jabbing me in the back.
      >

      > Due to this experiance, I am looking to make my own. I
      > found several sites where I can get the boning, busks,
      > and other materials.
      >
      > What is a good fabric to make a corset out of? As a
      > re-enactor I wear mine 3 to 5 days a week, from May to
      > October. Would a good quality silk be as durable as I
      > would need it to be? What is a good choice for the
      > backing of the corset?
      >
      > I am also looking for the tips and tricks and what to
      > avoid from those who have made corsets.
      >
      > Thank you much
      > Terri Lee

      > http://faith.yahoo.com

      Message: 7
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:26:34 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
      Subject: Re: (no subject)

      I swear, the pieces just never fit together, you have to
      ease it all together, and then you get weird bulges and
      bunching. And not to mention they are cut way too
      big...I'll take Simplicity and McCalls any day.
      Jessica

      > sing it, sister! I also have never been happy with
      > Butterick patterns. But my advisor in grad school
      > swears she likes 'em better than McCall's. Go
      > figure...
      > --Michelle
      >
      > > I've never used a Butterick pattern that wasn't
      > > crap.
      > > -Jessica
      > >
      > > > Isn't that the truth lol Peggy

      > > mine
      > >

      > > =====
      > > Visit my website!
      > > www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/
      > >

      > =====
      > We are all in the gutter,
      > But some of us are looking at the stars.
      > --Oscar Wilde

      =====
      http://faith.yahoo.com

      Message: 8
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:28:50 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>

      I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I've just *never* had
      a good experience working with them. To each her own I
      suppose...
      Jessica

      > As someone who has used their patterns in the past,I
      > don't see anything
      > "evil" about them except that they tend not go on sale as
      > much. Now,if your'e
      > talking about costume accuracy,I can see your point.
      > However,this friend
      > merely suggested the pattern because it's an easy one.
      > She makes the more
      > authentic kind which is very time-consuming. I trust her
      > judgement so thats
      > why I asked her and that was her answer. Well,I think I
      > got my point
      > across..Robyn

      =====
      http://faith.yahoo.com

      Message: 9
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:33:21 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Corsets

      I hear you there. I've been trying to find a good source
      for steel bones for a while, but I just haven;t had the
      time to really look. All my bodices have to be washed and
      then worn inside out for a while to get the plastic boning
      back to it's original shape. It's fine for stuff that
      wasn't designed to be worn heavy-duty like though.
      Jessica (corsets - everyone's favorite topic)

      > I'm kind of against the plastic boning. When it gets warm
      > from wearing
      > it, it molds into your shape. I have a cheap bodice with
      > plastic bones,
      > and after 5 or 6 wearings, the bottom front of it now
      > points out, and
      > the bust is starting to curve out. It looks like an
      > extremely
      > exaggerated hourglass. :/
      >
      > Jeni.

      =====
      http://faith.yahoo.com

      Message: 10
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:26:10 -0500
      From: "Raun Norby" <randrean@...>
      Subject: patterns

      [This message is not in displayable format]

      Message: 11
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:40:35 +0200
      From: "Bjarne og Leif Drews" <drewscph@...>

      Hi.
      Well you are right. I was not aware that it was a victorian corset in
      question.
      I was talking about 18th century corsets.
      I make 4 layers of muslin and stitch trough all layers for the bones. Then i
      whipstitch all the panels together, cover the seams with a tape including
      all the tabs with bias tape, + the bust and armscye/ shoulder
      straps -handsewn (very longlasting work)

      Bjarne
      Bjarne

      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:33:55 -0400
      From: Paquerette <paquerette@...>
      Subject: Re: boning source

      Siebel San wrote:

      > I hear you there. I've been trying to find a good source
      > for steel bones for a while, but I just haven;t had the
      > time to really look. All my bodices have to be washed and
      > then worn inside out for a while to get the plastic boning
      > back to it's original shape. It's fine for stuff that
      > wasn't designed to be worn heavy-duty like though.
      > Jessica (corsets - everyone's favorite topic)

      http://www.classactfabrics.com/other%20inventory/corset-stays.htm --
      Steel bones, coils of hoop wire, and cotton casings. She's a friend, so
      I have ulterior motives in plugging her, but she's also my source for
      90% of my supplies, and I'm happy.

      Jeni.

      Message: 13
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:38:45 -0700
      From: "Andrea Bertone" <andrea@...>

      I recently completed Laughing Moons' Dore corset. It gave me great support,
      a perfect line and it was comfortable. And for my first corset, it was
      pretty easy.

      I got all of my supplies from Alter Years.

      It was great.

      -Andrea

      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
      From: peggy salvail <psalvail@...>

      Are you haveing any trouble getting a catalog from
      then? I have had one ordered for almoset 2 years
      now(Feb) paid for and all. Peggy

      --- Andrea Bertone <andrea@...>

      http://faith.yahoo.com

      Message: 15
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:48:39 -0400
      From: Kate <castalusoria@...>
      Subject: OT: Cigna cancer donation for a click

      My apologies for the interruption of your bandwidth! Please consider
      the following.

      ~ Kate

      If you go to the Cigna web site and click on the pink ribbon, Cigna will
      donate $1.00 to fight breast cancer. Only good the month of October.

      http://www.cignafoundation.org

      Now, back to your regularly-scheduled discussion...

      Message: 16
      Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:08:47 -0000
      From: "michaela de bruce" <vcairistiona@...>

      > > I hear you there. I've been trying to find a good source
      > > for steel bones for a while, but I just haven;t had the
      > > time to really look. All my bodices have to be washed and
      > > then worn inside out for a while to get the plastic boning
      > > back to it's original shape. It's fine for stuff that
      > > wasn't designed to be worn heavy-duty like though.
      > > Jessica (corsets - everyone's favorite topic)

      Or you could simply iron them flat. Plastic boning behaves the same
      as real whale bone in this regard. But it's easier to reshape
      plastic, as I said you iron it, whale bone needs to be boiled.
      http://www.marquise.de/en/1900/howto/odds.shtml

      Hopefully that will help dispell a bit of the mythology of imitation
      whale bone being inferior;)

      Course it all depends on what brand you use, but I know N Kipar's
      corsets are all plastic and you can't say they aren't excellently
      made. Mind you look at how much boning is actually used (as much as
      in period) and you'll see why it works:)

      michaela
      http://recital.tripod.com/costume

      Message: 17
      Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:15:51 EDT
      From: fanfetish@...

      Hey thats Ok. I actually prefer the other Big Two(Simplicity & McCalls)
      Anyway. I looked through my ever-expanding pattern collection and thats what
      I found mostly;-) Robyn

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 18
      Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:19:04 EDT
      From: fanfetish@...
      Subject: Re: Re: boning source

      May I also suggest "Richard The Thread"? . A Costume Designer friend of mine
      uses them on a regular basis. Good Luck with your projects,Robyn

      [This message contained attachments]