  • Cilla
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
      Rusti,

      > looking for above mentioned place-mat foam ...
      loose weave knit black? and silver metallic that has look of chainmail, and upholstery type vinyl with bright silver metallic finish without a lot of texture ... Also always on the lookout for nifty metallic brocade fabrics...

      Over the years, I've found about everything you mention at my Hancock's Warehouse Fabrics.  I'm told they're the same ownership as Minnesota Fabrics.  I don't know if either is in your market area.  I don't do costuming, but I have done a lot of crafting with fabrics and I rarely fail to find what I'm looking for there.  The placemat foam is the only "iffy" one on your list that they might not have.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they just have regular thin foam.  At the one nearest me, they also have immense tables of discounted fabrics from $1-$4 a yard, always including some of those glitzy brocades you mention.

      If they don't have the silvery vinyl, have you considered fashioning your armor from a plain neutral color (white/beige) vinyl and using metallic fabric paint?  The fabric paints are flexible and durable, many also available in sprays.  I should think it would work.  Another thought is a layered construction of silver lame, crinoline for form, and fleece interfacing for body.

      Cilla
    • Manxminx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
        In regards to the black fabric your looking for...... If you have a JoAnne's
        fabric store look for something called bubble gauze..... it's perfect. We
        have Walmart here in my home town too. I adore the dollar table.... I have
        made some of my best cloaks from that wool collection. I am a Physical Rehab
        RN and don't collect alot of stuff from the unit....... but sometimes
        patients who have CPM's don't want the wooly fabric that was used on their
        machines...... it makes nice lamb costumes...... and the suture scissors that
        are not used from a one use kit....( the docs use the tweezers and toss the
        rest) are good for cutting seam edges and needle work. Good luck in your
        costuming.
        Manxminx
      • Sarah P
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
          Hello there!

          This is The Raven. I'm new to this e-group thing, but already I think I
          like it. Sort of like a chat room but it's e-mail. ^_^

          You work with 4-H? Wonderful! I used to be in that club, even went to
          Nationals with Dairy Judging one year. Wish my county had've done horses,
          but it's small and isn't much of a farming county anymore like it was when I
          was there. Gee, that was only 6 years ago--how fast a place builds up!

          Anyway, I've got an idea for you about armor. I'm not sure if it would
          work, since I never have a chance or reason to build it (our theatre company
          doesn't often go for the flashy or unusual with its season choices), but
          here it is:

          Naugahide is wonderfully heavy-gauge vinyl used with upholstery and can be
          sewn into most shapes. Spray-paint with metallic paints or with a solution
          of white glue and bronzing powder, which can be aged by adding black paint a
          little at a time until desired color is reached. Gold turns to bronze or
          antiqued gold, silver into tarnished silver (highlight with un-adulterated
          silver), and copper the same. Adding decoration can be done with hot-glue,
          if it isn't too hot, and this can also be painted. Paint comes last. Fake
          jewels can also be hot-glued on. Naugahide can be found at JoAnn's,
          Hancock's, or any local fabric store that sells upholstery fabric.

          Leather is also a wonderful metal-substitute, so I've heard, because it
          paints well, can be shaped to any shape, and is stiff like metal when it
          isn't suede and is of a higher gauge than 4oz. weight. Tandy Leather
          Factory and other leather suppliers sell this stuff. Problem is, it's
          expensive. I'd love to use it for mask-work, but never have the budget.

          A heavy felt can also be used for armor-making--with a little help from
          every theatre costumer's friend: Sculpt-o-Coat! This stuff is a
          concentrated form of Elmer's white glue and is so thick it can stand up on
          its own. Dries clear, can be textured or smooth like glass (or metal) and
          stiffens any fabric. Thick felt is good for absorbing shock, such as sword,
          fist, mace, or whatever middle-ages weaponry can dish up--if it isn't real,
          i.e. made for stage. Paint like naugahide.

          Another substance I love and work often with is Thermoplastic, a type of
          "fabric" that's cheesecloth imbedded in a hot-glue or plastic matrix. It's
          as hard as Tupperware, not very bendable, and can be cut and formed to any
          shape. It comes in huge rolls, like fabric rolls. To form it, take a
          heat-gun and heat the thermoplastic until it softens (but NOT until it turns
          clear!!). Remove the heat and shape as soon as it cools enough to touch
          without being hot enough to burn and work until it won't stick to itself
          anymore. Seams can be made by heating two edges and sticking together
          edge-on-edge and smoothing the heated plastic. This also works for getting
          rid of creases and unwanted folds. Shave with exacto-knife and heat and
          smooth edges. Finish the piece with Sculpt-o-Coat or several layers of
          Elmer's glue--enough to get rid of the fabricy texture and paint. A
          hair-dryer set on its hottest setting might work too, but might take longer
          to soften the plastic. Hot-glue can be used to stick two pieces together,
          but it doesn't work as well as re-heating the points you want put together.
          Make sure everything is the way you want it before painting or coating in
          glue! ((CAUTION: heat-guns are extremely HOT. **I cannot emphasize this
          enough!!!!** The air coming out of one is hot enough to fry an egg with in
          only a minute or less--and crisp it. I've singed the dryer in the laundry
          room once or twice with our gun and accidentally sat it on a plastic surface
          and a piece of paper towel before realizing where it was--melted the plastic
          and charred the paper where it touched. NEVER touch the metal end of the
          heat-gun! And NEVER let it touch anything remotely combustible or meltable!
          But they are wonderful for achieving great melting of things and for
          working Thermoplastic!))

          Paper doilies and such things can also be used for texturing and are much
          less expensive than placemats and netting for getting decorative texturing
          on flat surfaces. Again, Elmer's sticks everything together and paint
          covers all. I saw a BEAUTIFUL headress/mask at the SouthEastern Theatre
          Conference a couple of years ago that was covered in cut-out doilies that
          had been applied to the colored helmet surface and were painted a shining
          gold. Antlers had been made of tree branches with Spanish Moss made from
          surging thread that had been surged back and forth on a 3, 4, or 6 thread
          surger on something like transfer paper or a thin backing or some sort that
          could be pulled away from the thread without leaving clumps or bits. I
          don't remember what had been used when we made the costume for Caliban in
          Shakespeare's "Tempest". I think there's some sort of stuff that looks like
          a thin plastic that disolves in water. I don't know what it's called.

          I hope this helps you. I know the felt thing and the paper doilies works
          well, and the bronzing powder in white glue with paint for dulling and
          shading. Thermoplastic also works, as does leather. Naugahide is easier to
          get, but I can't think of a way to stiffen it further. It's odd stuff. And
          with chainmail I'm clueless. Wish I could help more. Have fun.

          ****Raven****

          ^_^ (Raven is the name I go by when working at Girl Scout summer camp. The
          tradition is that the kids have to guess the counselor's name by the end of
          the week and the first one to get the right name gets to keep the secret--or
          can blab it to the rest of the camp, whichever.)

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • rermisch
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
            Hi!
            The knit stuff that I found recently is in the catalogue for Theatre
            House in Covington, Kentucky. They have an mail order service. The fabric
            comes in a narrow tube form and I use it to make leggs and arms which I
            attlach to a blackstretch torso. My knights have tabards over top their
            "chain mail". Also if you love brocades then call Baer Fabrics at
            1-800-769-7776. They are not cheap but they send out watch cards and only
            charged me for the very first one they sent out. After that they just sent
            them on . I needed to get some brocades for some colonial suits and they
            sent me about 115 different types and all worked out quite well. They
            ranged in prices from
            ----- Original Message ----- $5.00 to 30.00 a yd.