  • The Costume Shop
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2002
      HI!
      This message is for the woman wanting to open a costume store in the
      near future. I am afraid that my expertise on the computer is not great so I
      am just hitting reply to the entire message and sending on the info. Sorry
      all.
      I have a shop in Pa. and have been around long enough to know that it
      isn't easy but it is fun most of the time. By all means , make your own
      costumes and really research your periods well and within reason ,( this
      means I do use zippers at times for all those fast changes in plays) make
      them as historically correct as possible. The public is getting savvier all
      the time and through books and better recent movies are expecting less
      Hollywood and more accurate costuming. Also, don't skimp on fabrics. I know
      brocades and velvets, and velveteens are expensive. Hit Walmart when the
      cotton velveteens come in they are washable and last really a long time. My
      costumers keep coming back they say because I offer them costumes that look
      and feel authentic while most of my competitors are using cottons or
      doubleknits because they are cheap and last forever.
      But enough of the pep talk, these are some of the people I use
      regularly and have found them to be very reliable.
      _Rubies Costume Co., phone (516) 326-1500
      fThey carry a lot of the licensed things that people want around
      Halloween. Also, if you need spats for your period guys, or grass skirts and
      leis for those backyard luas, or a double sided axe for your medieval
      executioner, they will have them and at good prices.
      Sweetheart Slips (800)227-7547
      These people have slips of all dementions and hoops (2, 4, or 6
      rings) starting at $15.00. They are made with drawstrings or cinched waists
      (drawstringsfit more people ) and get your orders out very quickly.Usually,
      next day.
      Franco -American Novelty Co., Inc. (800)222-Joke
      These people carry a lot of the same props and costumes for sale
      that Rubies does. But if you have an order of $1000.00 and have it in before
      March the first they not only pay for the shipping but will send as much of
      the order as they have on hand immediately. So , you have Halloween
      merchandise earlier than most and if you set up Halloween billing(paying
      Nov. 1st.) you can be selling it for the whole summer and get a jump on
      things. Their reorder ability is pretty good too.
      Morris Costumes ( 800)334-4678
      I love these people because you can literally get anything from
      them if you have your tax number and are a legitimate business. They carry
      everything from Masks to props for Haunted houses, costumes, both cheap and
      mascot expensive. They represent Ben Nye, Steins, Bob Kelly , Disguise
      Sticks , and other makeup companies . They carry hair products and wigs.
      They have a great hat selection , too.
      Cesar, Masquerade Inc. (800)433-6097
      I love the masks these people have. Some remind you of European
      carnival masks, some are vinyl representations of celebrities such as
      Whoopie G. , Michael Jordan, Barbara Streisand, and others . They also go to
      other centuries and do vinyls of Shakespeare, Van Gogh, and Beethoven.
      Costume Enterprise Inc. (619)286-9716
      These people have great animal costumes at a good wholesale price.
      They have nearly every animal you can think of and also do mascots. They
      also do looka likes of cartoon characters that we all know.
      Halco (724)929-7300
      This company out of Pittsburgh ,Pa. has the nicest Santa Suits for
      the price that are on the market. They come complete with Boottops, Belt,
      gloves,Jacket, pants(with a pocket, men love that), and hat. The velvet is
      beautiful and the plus is nice but very hat. Also, they cut very generously,
      the largest one is listed as a XXlg. but measured 62" in the chest.
      Lacey Costume Wigs (800)562-9911
      Lacey Wigs are great. They send you next day only if they can't get
      your order out the same day that you called. They have cheap to expensive
      wigs for sale and even carry the payes that you need for Fiddler on the Roof
      for the men to be authentic as well as the prayer shaws and long black
      coats.
      They have movie star s such as Joan Crawford,Marilyn Monroe, Elvis,
      James Dean, Supremes and other historical types such as Little Women, Gibson
      girl, ethnic, and a very good selection of Santa wig and beard sets. They
      have a Kanikelon set for $45.00 that is washable and rentable. They also
      have one in Icelandic Yak hair that is $300. but is fabulaous.
      Sorry to be so verbose but these are some of the people that can help
      you with the business. The more you can offer the more people will come
      back. Have fun and Hurry ! if you are setting up for this year for
      Halloween. The season is really beginning on the weekend of the 19th. for us
      so you will need to hurry.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
        Hi,
        also check into Nostalgia costume and photo supply. there is no min on
        their costumes
        good luck
> [...]
        Roof
        > for the men to be authentic as well as the prayer shaws and long black
        > coats.
        > They have movie star s such as Joan Crawford,Marilyn Monroe, Elvis,
        > James Dean, Supremes and other historical types such as Little Women,
        Gibson
        > girl, ethnic, and a very good selection of Santa wig and beard sets. They
        > have a Kanikelon set for $45.00 that is washable and rentable. They also
        > have one in Icelandic Yak hair that is $300. but is fabulaous.
        > Sorry to be so verbose but these are some of the people that can
        help
        > you with the business. The more you can offer the more people will come
        > back. Have fun and Hurry ! if you are setting up for this year for
        > Halloween. The season is really beginning on the weekend of the 19th. for

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Terri Lee
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
          Hello All-

          I have seen many posts about Civil War re-enacting and
          fashion etc. here recently, and I thought I would post
          this here for you.

          This is a group to help new and old re-enactors
          develop the best persona, possible. The goal of this
          group is to offer help and encouragement on every
          aspect of civil war re-enacting, from ways to help cut
          costs, fashion history, construction tips, and the
          all-important etiquette. We encourage talk about
          history, impressions, scenarios, and all of the
          wonderful aspects of being a Civil War living
          historian.

          Come join in the fun, as we learn from each other!

          Just thought I would pass this information on to those
          who are interested.
          Terri Lee

          =====

          http://faith.yahoo.com