New Pictures

  • Ann-Margaret
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
      I have posted two pictures of my first professional tutu. Please let
      me know what you think.
    • Mary
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
        It's beautiful! Did you do all the beading by hand? Is the tutu for a particular production?

        ~Mary

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Ann-Margaret" <annmargaret@c...> wrote:
        > I have posted two pictures of my first professional tutu. Please let
        > me know what you think.
      • Bjarne og Leif Drews
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
          Hi there.
          I think it looks very good. You should be proud of your work.
          That corset of yours looks precisely like mine, did you use Norah Waughs pattern from 1770?

          Bjarne who also has a projekt i am starting now:

          It's beautiful!  Did you do all the beading by hand?  Is the tutu for a particular production?

          ~Mary

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Ann-Margaret" <annmargaret@c...> wrote:
          > I have posted two pictures of my first professional tutu.  Please let
          > me know what you think.

        • Stacey Dunleavy
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
            I didn't get the link - I'd love to see what they're
            gushing about!

            --- Ann-Margaret <annmargaret@...> wrote:
            > I have posted two pictures of my first professional
            > tutu. Please let
            > me know what you think.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Faber, Debbie
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
              Same with me!
              Debbie

              I didn't get the link - I'd love to see what they're
              gushing about!
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
                Yeah, where do I go to see this?
                Jessica

                > I didn't get the link - I'd love to see what they're
                > gushing about!
                >
                > --- Ann-Margaret <annmargaret@...> wrote:
                > > I have posted two pictures of my first professional
                > > tutu. Please let
                > > me know what you think.

                =====
                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • peggy salvail
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
                  OH what a wonderful dress. How much fun it would be
                  to make this. Our (daughter & I) next project is a
                  1876 7th Calvery Dress Jacket, Enlisted man, and a
                  Ball gown for the wife. It will be used for the
                  Battle of the Little Big Horn Reinactment next June.
                  This should be a fun projuct also. At present I am
                  finishing a few Western shirts and A Gentelmans Frock
                  Coat (1850). I live near Tombstone AZ so hence the
                  western attire. Take care and good luck. Peggy

                  --- Bjarne og Leif Drews <drewscph@...>

                  http://www.my-drewscostumes.dk/robealafrancaise1776.htm

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • Ann-Margaret
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
                    The picture is posted under Aunt AM's

                    And, thank you for the compliments. I do have to say that I added a
                    few beads, but the appliques were from an old piece of wedding lace.
                    It's not for a particular ballet, I just wanted to make one to see if
                    I could do it.

                    I'm working on Nutcracker costumes for a local ballet company right
                    now, I'll post pictures of those when they are complete.

                    wrote:
                    > I have posted two pictures of my first professional tutu. Please
                    let
                    > me know what you think.
                  • michaela de bruce
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 4, 2002
                      It took a bit of guessing, but it's inthe photo section of the groups
                      pages under Aunt_AM.

                      michaela

                      > I didn't get the link - I'd love to see what they're
                      > gushing about!
                      >
                      > --- Ann-Margaret <annmargaret@c...> wrote:
                      > > I have posted two pictures of my first professional
                      > > tutu. Please let
                      > > me know what you think.

                      > http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • Mary
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 5, 2002
                        Bjarne,

                        Can't wait to see this one when it's done. All your costumes are so beautiful -- although you don't seem to have them posted on your website anymore. Are you redesigning your website?

                        ~Mary

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Bjarne og Leif Drews" <drewscph@p...> wrote:
                        > Hi there.
                        > I think it looks very good. You should be proud of your work.
                        > That corset of yours looks precisely like mine, did you use Norah Waughs pattern from 1770?
                        >
                        > Bjarne who also has a projekt i am starting now:
                        > http://www.my-drewscostumes.dk/robealafrancaise1776.htm

                      • Sasha
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 5, 2002

                          Hello, we beg your indulgence, just thought our services might be of use and interest to some of you.  Thank you for this opportunity to introduce ourselves to you.

                          We are INCOGNEETO VINTAGE CLOTHING, FASHION, JEWELRY and ACCESSORIES.   In operation since 1986 we are one of the largest vintage clothing stores in the country.

                          Many costumers, designers, artists, performers, and photographers utilize our services and store selection.  We have sold and rented to musicians, theatre groups and supplied clothing and props to many films, TV and cable programs.

                          From “Victorian Finery to Funky 70’s” we can provide you anything from full costumes to small pieces of detail to add to your existing costume. Mod, fetish, western, Asian, swing etc.

                          You can see examples on our site at www.incogneeto.com or visit us daily (noon-ish to nine-ish) at our 6,000 sq. ft. store in Central New Jersey-

                          Incogneeto

                          @Neet-O-Rama

                          Pop! Culture Superstore

                          93 W. Main St.

                          Somerville, NJ

                          08876

                          (908)722-4600

                          We are about an hour out of Manhattan by train or bus (NJ Transit) and we are located 2 blocks from the train station or bus stop here in town.

                          We do mail order and ship global.

                          Special needs and search service available contact: Stacy

                          at neetstuff@...  for additional information or requests.

                          Thank you,

                          Stacy

                        • Bjarne og Leif Drews
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 5, 2002
                            Hello Mary.
                            Thanks for your lovely words. It is wonderfull to have some feed back of what you do.
                            Yes i am making my homepage all over again.
                            I got  a new computer, and this time ill use frontpage express to make the webpages.
                            There were two many pictures wich took up two much bandwidth, so i shall make them better with links to the pictures.
                            But i started the embroidery yesterday for real, i had waited so long for my embroidery threads to arrive from USA, and i am very very buisy now, because the threads arrived yesterday...............

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 5, 2002
                              Can you resend the link? I can't even find it now
                              silly me. take care Peggy

                              http://faith.yahoo.com
                            • fanfetish@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 6, 2002
                                Beautiful! Can't wait to see it when it finished..:-) Robyn
                              • Terri Lee
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 16, 2002
                                  Hello-
                                  Recently (two weeks ago) I bought a custom made
                                  corset, for the smashing price of $150.00. Long story
                                  short, I wore it for one day and had bloody scabbs
                                  from where the boning had gone through the corset, my
                                  chemise and me. The woman refuses to take the corset
                                  back because she said I am to big for it.
                                  First of all this thing was supposed to have been
                                  custom made, and it had 2 1/2 inches of spring in the
                                  back.

                                  I am not that knowledgeable about corsets, but I
                                  thought that amount of spring was within the fitting
                                  range. The corset was comfortable with the exception
                                  of where it was jabbing me in the back.

                                  Due to this experiance, I am looking to make my own. I
                                  found several sites where I can get the boning, busks,
                                  and other materials.

                                  What is a good fabric to make a corset out of? As a
                                  re-enactor I wear mine 3 to 5 days a week, from May to
                                  October. Would a good quality silk be as durable as I
                                  would need it to be? What is a good choice for the
                                  backing of the corset?

                                  I am also looking for the tips and tricks and what to
                                  avoid from those who have made corsets.

                                  Thank you much
                                  Terri Lee

                                  http://faith.yahoo.com
                                • Maggie Baker
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 16, 2002

                                    Since your corset will have so much use, you might want to spend the money and make your corset out of Coutil. It's a fabric especially for corsets since it wont stretch like a twill, it's an all natural cotton, and it is lightweight but still sturdy enough that bones (if they are tipped correctly) wont go through it. Lacis is a shop in Berkeley, CA that has everything you need to make corsets including the coutil, bones, laces and patterns if you need help. You can find them online. It's an addictively fabulous store!!!!!

                                     Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@...> wrote:

[...]

                                    Professional Specialist in Costume Design
                                    Saint Mary's College
                                    Notre Dame, IN
                                    (574) 284-4653

                                    faith.yahoo.com

                                  • vintageconnection
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 17, 2002
                                      There is really no excuse for that happening to you--on your first
                                      wearing of the corset, especially. She really ought to give you your
                                      money back.

                                      An excellent corset pattern that I've used frequently is this one
                                      from Past Patterns:

                                      http://www.pastpatterns.com/213.html

                                      It actually dates a little later than the Civil War era, but would be
                                      serviceable for your purposes. If you really want to be very
                                      accurate, Past Patterns is an excellent source; they have a variety
                                      of patterns.

                                      I've found that using coutil is comfortable (it breathes well) and
                                      very durable. You can buy coutil fabric at most costume supply
                                      houses, including AlterYears:

                                      http://www.alteryears.com/supplies/Corset_sup.html

                                      AlterYears also sells boning. I suggest the 1/4 inch wide flat steel
                                      boning. It comes in a variety of sizes, so you don't need to worry
                                      about cutting it and them trying to seal off the ends so they don't
                                      dig into your skin. It also is firm, yet flexible. In addition, they
                                      sell bone casing, which is helpful, although whenever possible, I
                                      prefer to stitch channels for the boning.

                                      Have fun!

                                      Kristina

                                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@y...>