  • equinarts@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
      Y'all asked for an intro, so here it is:
      Name? Rusti
      Location? Florida
      Mental Age? 52 (I was born middle-aged, have now caught up physically)
      Do you have a web site? nope
      What is your main interest in costume?
      Been sewing for 40 years, love the challenge of making costumes- glitz
      and frills, engineering peculiar shapes and pieces, saving and recycling
      "good junk", finding just the right "stuff". Right now working with mostly
      horse and rider drill teams, which means costumes for both horses and riders
      that are durable, flashy, and can stand the strain of some pretty fast
      moving. Currently doing a drillteam production based on broadway version of
      The Lion King (4 of the horses will be head to hoof zebra costumes!) masks
      will sit on top of heads (like on broadway) and be attached to riders
      helmets. should be fun!
      What are your favorite Costume Movies?
      medieval and fantasy stuff- return to oz, neverending story II,
      excaliber, etc.
      What is your favorite historic costume period?
      renaissance, medieval, fanatasy
      Describe your favorite costume disaster.
      Adult sized Kermit the Frog- used wire frame to support the large head,
      out only in a few "orbits" and green fabric flapped and sunk-in in many
      areas, looked pretty weird...
      What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event, etc.?
      Don't ususally go to these- few I've seen, I remember some of the best
      and most outrageous, but didn't really notice the lesser ones....
      What is your favorite weird costume material?
      Hospital disposables: I work as an er doc, and can get odd materials
      occasionally- ridged-waffled tubing from respiratory machine setups, clear
      hoses and tubes of odd sizes and shapes (neat for starwars/robot type stuff),
      fiberglass casting tape (ridiculously expensive, but I can occasionally get
      outdated packets). I save the clean disposable sheets that the ambulance
      crews bring in- non-woven thin fabric that is perfect for making patterns!
      My son makes surfboards, so I occasionally get styrofoam and balsa scraps
      that come in handy. Thin foam placemats (Walmart- during the holidays they
      even sell metallic ones) are great for unicorn horns and medieval headgear.
      Favorite place to shop for fabrics: the $1 a yard remainder tables at
      Walmart- never know what I'll find, but have come across some really
      interesting fabrics there over the years, and the price is sure right- only
      problem is there's no way to track down or get more of something really
      cool... I find that the most fun in costume construction is "thinking
      outside the box" and finding new and clever uses for stuff that's around, and
      new solutions for construction problems- this mental exercise is the
      exciting part, along with the trial-and-errror of seeing if the idea actually
      work.
      Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
      vain. :
      Right now I am desperately looking for above mentioned place-mat foam
      sold in larger pieces/ yardage. Looking for loose weave knit black? and
      silver metallic that has look of chainmail, and upholstery type vinyl with
      bright silver metallic finish without a lot of texture... I need to dress 2
      horses and riders as knights in full-on jousting armor, robes- the works.
      For weight and safety reasons, don't want to use metal for armor (except
      maybe on the helmets, which will be constructed over regular riding helmets-
      I have some aluminum flashing that I can use for that). Also always on the
      lookout for nifty metallic brocade fabrics- have good sources for all sorts
      of metallic lycras, but rarely see the glam brocades (I'm a sucker for
      glitz). Any leads on finding this stuff would be appreciated!!!
      How you would dress a bridesmaid?
      Simple elegance, not a lot of ruffles- maybe something medieval or
      renaissance- classical look rather than "bridesmaids dresses from hell" that
      look like overblown flowery bonbons....
      Other biographical info:
      Work as an M.D., which supports my hobbies and obsessions, which are:
      Reading Fantasy & Sci Fi, collecting books- especially art books, fantsy art,
      etc., Sewing and teaching sewing- I run a 4-H club for girls, STARS (Sewing,
      Theater, Art. Riding, & Service) I have 2 full rooms that house my fabric
      hoarde..(picture me as an old dragon with her treasure). Riding, especially
      drill team- the perfect way to combine show biz, costuming and horses! I
      have a dozen horses that I own/support for my 4-H kids and drill team friends
      to ride. All live here at my little 3 acre dream-ranch. I also paint and do
      all sorts of fine art and crafts on a professional level- lots of
      commissioned portraits, mostly people and animals. My income allows me to
      indulge in all sorts of arts and crafts tools, so by now I have pretty near
      everything- airbrushing, ceramics, a "herd" of a dozen sewing machines
      (mostly used for teaching), and a 30x44' separate art-studio building to play
      in. (Are you jealous yet?- only thing I wish I had more of is time...)
    • Cilla
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
        Rusti,

        > looking for above mentioned place-mat foam ...
        loose weave knit black? and silver metallic that has look of chainmail, and upholstery type vinyl with bright silver metallic finish without a lot of texture ... Also always on the lookout for nifty metallic brocade fabrics...

        Over the years, I've found about everything you mention at my Hancock's Warehouse Fabrics.  I'm told they're the same ownership as Minnesota Fabrics.  I don't know if either is in your market area.  I don't do costuming, but I have done a lot of crafting with fabrics and I rarely fail to find what I'm looking for there.  The placemat foam is the only "iffy" one on your list that they might not have.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they just have regular thin foam.  At the one nearest me, they also have immense tables of discounted fabrics from $1-$4 a yard, always including some of those glitzy brocades you mention.

        If they don't have the silvery vinyl, have you considered fashioning your armor from a plain neutral color (white/beige) vinyl and using metallic fabric paint?  The fabric paints are flexible and durable, many also available in sprays.  I should think it would work.  Another thought is a layered construction of silver lame, crinoline for form, and fleece interfacing for body.

        Cilla
      • Manxminx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
          In regards to the black fabric your looking for...... If you have a JoAnne's
          fabric store look for something called bubble gauze..... it's perfect. We
          have Walmart here in my home town too. I adore the dollar table.... I have
          made some of my best cloaks from that wool collection. I am a Physical Rehab
          RN and don't collect alot of stuff from the unit....... but sometimes
          patients who have CPM's don't want the wooly fabric that was used on their
          machines...... it makes nice lamb costumes...... and the suture scissors that
          are not used from a one use kit....( the docs use the tweezers and toss the
          rest) are good for cutting seam edges and needle work. Good luck in your
          costuming.
          Manxminx
        • Sarah P
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
            Hello there!

            This is The Raven. I'm new to this e-group thing, but already I think I
            like it. Sort of like a chat room but it's e-mail. ^_^

            You work with 4-H? Wonderful! I used to be in that club, even went to
            Nationals with Dairy Judging one year. Wish my county had've done horses,
            but it's small and isn't much of a farming county anymore like it was when I
            was there. Gee, that was only 6 years ago--how fast a place builds up!

            Anyway, I've got an idea for you about armor. I'm not sure if it would
            work, since I never have a chance or reason to build it (our theatre company
            doesn't often go for the flashy or unusual with its season choices), but
            here it is:

            Naugahide is wonderfully heavy-gauge vinyl used with upholstery and can be
            sewn into most shapes. Spray-paint with metallic paints or with a solution
            of white glue and bronzing powder, which can be aged by adding black paint a
            little at a time until desired color is reached. Gold turns to bronze or
            antiqued gold, silver into tarnished silver (highlight with un-adulterated
            silver), and copper the same. Adding decoration can be done with hot-glue,
            if it isn't too hot, and this can also be painted. Paint comes last. Fake
            jewels can also be hot-glued on. Naugahide can be found at JoAnn's,
            Hancock's, or any local fabric store that sells upholstery fabric.

            Leather is also a wonderful metal-substitute, so I've heard, because it
            paints well, can be shaped to any shape, and is stiff like metal when it
            isn't suede and is of a higher gauge than 4oz. weight. Tandy Leather
            Factory and other leather suppliers sell this stuff. Problem is, it's
            expensive. I'd love to use it for mask-work, but never have the budget.

            A heavy felt can also be used for armor-making--with a little help from
            every theatre costumer's friend: Sculpt-o-Coat! This stuff is a
            concentrated form of Elmer's white glue and is so thick it can stand up on
            its own. Dries clear, can be textured or smooth like glass (or metal) and
            stiffens any fabric. Thick felt is good for absorbing shock, such as sword,
            fist, mace, or whatever middle-ages weaponry can dish up--if it isn't real,
            i.e. made for stage. Paint like naugahide.

            Another substance I love and work often with is Thermoplastic, a type of
            "fabric" that's cheesecloth imbedded in a hot-glue or plastic matrix. It's
            as hard as Tupperware, not very bendable, and can be cut and formed to any
            shape. It comes in huge rolls, like fabric rolls. To form it, take a
            heat-gun and heat the thermoplastic until it softens (but NOT until it turns
            clear!!). Remove the heat and shape as soon as it cools enough to touch
            without being hot enough to burn and work until it won't stick to itself
            anymore. Seams can be made by heating two edges and sticking together
            edge-on-edge and smoothing the heated plastic. This also works for getting
            rid of creases and unwanted folds. Shave with exacto-knife and heat and
            smooth edges. Finish the piece with Sculpt-o-Coat or several layers of
            Elmer's glue--enough to get rid of the fabricy texture and paint. A
            hair-dryer set on its hottest setting might work too, but might take longer
            to soften the plastic. Hot-glue can be used to stick two pieces together,
            but it doesn't work as well as re-heating the points you want put together.
            Make sure everything is the way you want it before painting or coating in
            glue! ((CAUTION: heat-guns are extremely HOT. **I cannot emphasize this
            enough!!!!** The air coming out of one is hot enough to fry an egg with in
            only a minute or less--and crisp it. I've singed the dryer in the laundry
            room once or twice with our gun and accidentally sat it on a plastic surface
            and a piece of paper towel before realizing where it was--melted the plastic
            and charred the paper where it touched. NEVER touch the metal end of the
            heat-gun! And NEVER let it touch anything remotely combustible or meltable!
            But they are wonderful for achieving great melting of things and for
            working Thermoplastic!))

            Paper doilies and such things can also be used for texturing and are much
            less expensive than placemats and netting for getting decorative texturing
            on flat surfaces. Again, Elmer's sticks everything together and paint
            covers all. I saw a BEAUTIFUL headress/mask at the SouthEastern Theatre
            Conference a couple of years ago that was covered in cut-out doilies that
            had been applied to the colored helmet surface and were painted a shining
            gold. Antlers had been made of tree branches with Spanish Moss made from
            surging thread that had been surged back and forth on a 3, 4, or 6 thread
            surger on something like transfer paper or a thin backing or some sort that
            could be pulled away from the thread without leaving clumps or bits. I
            don't remember what had been used when we made the costume for Caliban in
            Shakespeare's "Tempest". I think there's some sort of stuff that looks like
            a thin plastic that disolves in water. I don't know what it's called.

            I hope this helps you. I know the felt thing and the paper doilies works
            well, and the bronzing powder in white glue with paint for dulling and
            shading. Thermoplastic also works, as does leather. Naugahide is easier to
            get, but I can't think of a way to stiffen it further. It's odd stuff. And
            with chainmail I'm clueless. Wish I could help more. Have fun.

            ****Raven****

            ^_^ (Raven is the name I go by when working at Girl Scout summer camp. The
            tradition is that the kids have to guess the counselor's name by the end of
            the week and the first one to get the right name gets to keep the secret--or
            can blab it to the rest of the camp, whichever.)

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • rermisch
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2000
              Hi!
              The knit stuff that I found recently is in the catalogue for Theatre
              House in Covington, Kentucky. They have an mail order service. The fabric
              comes in a narrow tube form and I use it to make leggs and arms which I
              attlach to a blackstretch torso. My knights have tabards over top their
              "chain mail". Also if you love brocades then call Baer Fabrics at
              1-800-769-7776. They are not cheap but they send out watch cards and only
              charged me for the very first one they sent out. After that they just sent
              them on . I needed to get some brocades for some colonial suits and they
              sent me about 115 different types and all worked out quite well. They
              ranged in prices from
              ----- Original Message ----- $5.00 to 30.00 a yd.