Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Brigadoon

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
      Aloha, I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai and wrote
      recently about costuming BRIGADOON for my local high school on a very
      limited budget. My first thought is I will just whip out those kilts, no
      problem. BUT, now that I am researching their construction and how much
      fabric they take and ALL those accessories which are REALLY expensive and
      can't just be whipped out (knee high socks, can't buy those on Kauai), I'm
      beginning to doubt myself. So, I thought maybe just rent the kilt outfits,
      but as I research rentals, I see that the cost of rentals is really high,
      and we would need them for at least three weeks. I guess I need to hear
      from someone who knows what other poor high school groups do in this
      situation. I sew really well, but I usually just invent what I'm doing, and
      specialize in remaking existing clothing into great costumes. You should see
      what I just did for OKLAHOMA! I was able to turn second hand muumuus that
      were calico prints into great prairie skirts and dresses. I can follow a
      typical sewing pattern, but reading about kilt pleating was making my head
      spin. Anyways, if I need 10 kilts (minumum) and they require 8 yards of
      fabric, I'll never be able to afford to make them, but I can't afford to
      rent them either. ANY IDEAS!! Sorry if I rambled, but I am a bit worried.
      Poppy Shell

    • JANET HULL
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi poppy
        I costumed a a play a few years back loosly based on the story of
        braveheart. I had no budget for this production. I did have loads of old
        curtains and pots of old dyes. I darkened the curtains so the patterns did
        not show too much.I then cut the into long lengths joining the lengths
        together to make about 6m. I then loosly made big pleats around the back and
        left a plain piece to the front and all that was left over swept up over the
        shoulder and pinned on with the brooch we made the brooches from old bits of
        junk jewelry glued onto stiff card or hardboard. They wore them over baggy
        shirts with a thick leather belt to hold up the kilt. The overall effect was
        good and it needed to look well worn and distressed. I hope you can find
        enough old curtains. Do not worry about it having to be tartan as a lot of
        the old kilts were plain rough wool
        Janet

      • KaBear13@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
          You don't really need 8 yards of material to make a kilt.  Usually, the eight yard kilts are reserved for more formal occasions and most highland men wear a 4-5 yard kilt called a "Hill Walker".  As for the sewing, I've found that the most frustrating thing about the kilt is getting those dratted pleats to stay straight while you're ironing and sewing them down.  Also, I've found a site that sells kilts for about $38 a piece. The only drawback is that they only carry two tartans.   It's www.museumreplicas.com they've got some really neat clothing and shoes.  You could also check with the Society for Creative Anachronisms site and see if they've got any simple kiltmaking turorials or some vendors who sell inexpensive kilts.  www.sca.com
        • Paquerette
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
            <<You don't really need 8 yards of material to make a kilt. Usually,
            the eight yard kilts are reserved for more formal
            occasions and most highland men wear a 4-5 yard kilt called a "Hill
            Walker". As for the sewing, I've found that the
            most frustrating thing about the kilt is getting those dratted pleats to
            stay straight while you're ironing and sewing
            them down. Also, I've found a site that sells kilts for about $38 a
            piece. The only drawback is that they only carry
            two tartans. It's www.museumreplicas.com they've got some really neat
            clothing and shoes. You could also
            check with the Society for Creative Anachronisms site and see if they've
            got any simple kiltmaking turorials or
            some vendors who sell inexpensive kilts. www.sca.com>>

            It's sca.org, actually. I don't think there's anything much on that site
            about kilts, though. I'm not familiar with Brigadoon, what period is it?
            Pre-1600 kilts were not sewn-in pleats, that's a 17th or 18th century
            invention.

            There are instructions here http://www.simon-s.net/clothes/plaid.html on
            how to drape a great kilt. I've never actually used them so I can't
            vouch for them, but I've done the square cloak, peplos, and arisaid from
            here and they're all good directions.

            Good luck!

            --

            Lady Ennoguent filia Bronmael, Endless Hills, AEthelmearc
            Barony of Endless Hills Webmistress
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
              Aloha, I know I speak for everyone when I say how inspiring this group is.
              Here I sit on a little island in the middle of nowhere, and I can get
              encouragement from people all over the world. I now feel empowered to go
              for it and make the kilts for BRIGADOON. Along with the ideas passed along
              here, I took a look thru one of my costume books: THE HISTORICAL
              ENCYCLOPEDIA OF COSTUMES, by Albert Rachet - which shows wonderful
              illistrations of authentic Highland clothing. The time period for this play
              is around the mid 1700's I believe, as a village is enchanted to only appear
              out of the mist once every hundred years. I like to make my costumes look
              like they are the actual clothing of the period: dirty, worn, mismatched,
              etc. NOT cutesy, clean, matching and highly modernized decorations. BUT,
              some directors prefer that kind of look. I thought maybe I could find some
              old plaid blankets that would be heavy material to cut into kilts. I found
              some very inexpensive plaid lightweight cotton that I'm wanting to use for
              the women's clothing and the men's trousers called: "trews", as it is so hot
              here. But, I know that won't pleat well and I know my director will expect
              pleated kilts for the important sword dance scene. Thanks for all the
              leads, I know they'll help. BY THE WAY< this morning while I was reading
              your emails, I was on the phone to Reno where my son Jonah's wife Dallas was
              in the process of having a baby. My daughter Flora was on the cell phone
              giving me the details of the delivery and I heard Jasper David Shell take
              his first little yowl as he was born at 12:23 pm. THen, I typed out this
              email, so I'm pretty happy. This time next week, I'll be in Reno to see the
              new baby and my kids (who attend college there) and then fly off to NYC to
              see the sites, catch a few plays and visit costume places YOU guys have
              suggested. MAHALO TO ALL: Poppy Shell

            • Dianne and Greg Stucki
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
                That's actually www. sca.org

                Dianne
                 You could also check with the Society for Creative Anachronisms site and see if they've got any simple kiltmaking turorials or some vendors who sell inexpensive kilts.  www.sca.com

              • Suzi Clarke
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2002
                  Poppy
                  When you know the exact date of the 1700 village, remember that kilts and
                  plaids were banned in Scotland after the '45 rebellion. I do not know how
                  widespread, or how long the ban lasted, and I know it is up to the
                  director, but if you are having problems you can always use the fact as an
                  argument in your favour!! (However, you also have to remember that it was
                  written by Americans, who may not have been interested in the historical
                  aspects!!) I was in it as an amateur, many eons ago, before I knew about
                  the history of costume - we wore kilts and plaids!! I cringe at the memory!
                  Suzi in London
                • Contessa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2002
                    check out ebay stores.
                    http://www.stores.ebay.com/stores/category28015/index.html they have lots
                    of school uniforms, that are plaid and the skirts look like kilts.
                    sometimes, it's pretty cheap as well. or while your in reno, hit some
                    second hand stores or fabric stores and see what's on sale.
                    contessa

[...]

                  • Dalette Remington-Nash
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 2, 2002
                      Another idea, if they have a Walmart near you check out their fabric
                      department, right now (at least here in Oregon) thay have a whole bunch of
                      plaid flannel like fabric for a dollar a yard. If they don't have one near
                      you check one out while on the mainland. Or if you are interested you can
                      get ahold of me personally and I'd be happy to let you know what they have
                      here and buy/send it to you.
                      Dalette Remington-Nash; self-admitted fabriholic

                      >From: "Poppy Shell" <poppyshell@...>
                      >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Brigadoon
                      >Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:19:45 -1000
                      >
                      >Aloha, I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai and wrote
                      >recently about costuming BRIGADOON for my local high school on a very
                      >limited budget. My first thought is I will just whip out those kilts, no
                      >problem. BUT, now that I am researching their construction and how much
                      >fabric they take and ALL those accessories which are REALLY expensive and
                      >can't just be whipped out (knee high socks, can't buy those on Kauai), I'm
                      >beginning to doubt myself. So, I thought maybe just rent the kilt outfits,
                      >but as I research rentals, I see that the cost of rentals is really high,
                      >and we would need them for at least three weeks. I guess I need to hear
                      >from someone who knows what other poor high school groups do in this
                      >situation. I sew really well, but I usually just invent what I'm doing,
                      >and
                      >specialize in remaking existing clothing into great costumes. You should
                      >see
                      >what I just did for OKLAHOMA! I was able to turn second hand muumuus that
                      >were calico prints into great prairie skirts and dresses. I can follow a
                      >typical sewing pattern, but reading about kilt pleating was making my head
                      >spin. Anyways, if I need 10 kilts (minumum) and they require 8 yards of
                      >fabric, I'll never be able to afford to make them, but I can't afford to
                      >rent them either. ANY IDEAS!! Sorry if I rambled, but I am a bit worried.
                      >Poppy Shell

                    • Siebel San
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 2, 2002
                        One word for you: Walmart.

                        I dont know if you've got one on your island, but around
                        here at lest, they've got tons of diferent plaids for about
                        $2 a yard. You kind of have to have different tartans for
                        Brigadoon, because the diferent families are part of the
                        story. nd yeah, you definitely don't need 8 yards. I made
                        a kilt out of 3 yards once (he was very skinny) and then
                        made a simple sash out of the same plaid to go with it. It
                        all took me a total of about 4 yards.

                        -Jessie

                        =====
                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                      • vickdamom@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 2, 2002
                          our local community theather did this production about two years ago...we
                          had the most awesome piper! and yes to making a sash rather then full eight
                          yard kilt.

                          vicky