Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Doesn't Everyone? LOL

  • Terri Lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2002
      If I had to go through all of that just to sew, I
      would never get anything done. Only in my perfect
      world with maids and house keepers would that be able
      to happen, until then I will just have to keep on with
      my bagged ratty old sweats, grubby t-shirt, and
      un-brushed hair.

      And if a neighbor or my husband should happen to come
      in, they will see me for who I am... a grubby nasty
      happy sticher!

      But I really do like the thought!
      Terri Lee

      --- love3angle <aiannetta@...> wrote:
      > From a 1949 Singer sewing manual:
      > "Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about
      > what you are going
      > do...never approach sewing with a sigh or
      > lackadaisically. Good
      > results are
      > difficult when indifference predominates. Never try
      > to sew with a
      > sink full
      > of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are
      > urgent housekeeping
      > chores,
      > do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your
      > sewing....When you
      > sew,
      > make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a
      > clean dress. Keep a
      > little
      > bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to
      > dust your
      > fingers at
      > intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and
      > lipstick put on....
      > [If] you
      > are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in
      > or your husband
      > will come
      > home and you will not look neatly put together, you
      > will not enjoy
      > your
      > sewing as you should."

      HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
      http://www.hotjobs.com
    • rjones4
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2002
        Hi gang!

        I always have my makeup fully done before I sew (LOL).  Heaven knows when someone in the neighborhood will drop in for coffee and crumb cake.  And, with my crammed 24 hour schedule, the beds are always made because, who has time to sleep!

        Only kidding about the sleep, but to save time, we could sleep in the lounge chair . . .

        Love and peace to everyone,

        Ray Jones

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2002
          This sure made me laugh. It must have been writen by
          the same people that ran a big propaganda program
          after WWII to get women out of the work force and back
          into the kitchen. Well it didn't work for too long LOL
          Linda
          --- love3angle <aiannetta@...> wrote:
          > From a 1949 Singer sewing manual:
          > "Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about
          > what you are going
          > do...never approach sewing with a sigh or
          > lackadaisically. Good
          > results are
          > difficult when indifference predominates. Never try
          > to sew with a
          > sink full
          > of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are
          > urgent housekeeping
          > chores,
          > do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your
          > sewing....When you
          > sew,
          > make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a
          > clean dress. Keep a
          > little
          > bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to
          > dust your
          > fingers at
          > intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and
          > lipstick put on....
          > [If] you
          > are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in
          > or your husband
          > will come
          > home and you will not look neatly put together, you
          > will not enjoy
          > your
          > sewing as you should."

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com
        • Liz Barron
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2002
            I know that cross-posting is a baaaaaad thing but this was too well done not
            to share...when the 1949 sewing tips were posted on alt.sewing, Sharon Hays
            responded with the following:

            "Shall we modify this a bit for the times??

            To prepare yourself for sewing, put on undergarments that you would wear
            with the garment you are working on. This will allow you to strip down to
            them in the sewing room for quick and accurate fittings. Over said
            undergarments, throw on your most comfortable pair of sweats, only if they
            are ratty, and a t-shirt, preferably one with paint and/or cooking stains on
            the front. Explain to your children that you will be in the sewing room.
            They are welcome to play Nintendo till their thumbs go numb, and there is a
            fresh box of Twinkies in the pantry. They won't starve. If there is blood,
            or breakage, they should come get you. If your hair is long enough, scrape
            it back out of your face with whatever is handy. Dig in your scrap pile for
            a piece of ribbon or selvage if necessary. Shoes are optional. Make up
            will only get on your garment as you try it on, so leave that off. Too, it
            will mar the effect of the chalk-o-liner chalk on your cheek. Lipstick will
            come off on the heads of your pins when you stick them in your mouth. Since
            the lipstick could then get onto your fabric, leave that off too. Save up
            all the good cuss words you heard during the week, use them, generously,
            when things are not going smoothly."

            now THAT's more like it!
            susan
          • Liberty Campbell
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 13, 2002
              *LMAO* That's great! Especially the cuss words part. That is too true for
              me! *lol*

              Liberty aka Saoirse

              > I know that cross-posting is a baaaaaad thing but this was too well done
              not
              > to share...when the 1949 sewing tips were posted on alt.sewing, Sharon
              Hays
              > responded with the following:
              >
              > "Shall we modify this a bit for the times??
              >
              > To prepare yourself for sewing, put on undergarments that you would wear
              > with the garment you are working on. This will allow you to strip down to
              > them in the sewing room for quick and accurate fittings. Over said
              > undergarments, throw on your most comfortable pair of sweats, only if they
              > are ratty, and a t-shirt, preferably one with paint and/or cooking stains
              on
              > the front. Explain to your children that you will be in the sewing room.
              > They are welcome to play Nintendo till their thumbs go numb, and there is
              > fresh box of Twinkies in the pantry. They won't starve. If there is
              blood,
              > or breakage, they should come get you. If your hair is long enough,
              scrape
              > it back out of your face with whatever is handy. Dig in your scrap pile
              for
              > a piece of ribbon or selvage if necessary. Shoes are optional. Make up
              > will only get on your garment as you try it on, so leave that off. Too,
              it
              > will mar the effect of the chalk-o-liner chalk on your cheek. Lipstick
              will
              > come off on the heads of your pins when you stick them in your mouth.
              Since
              > the lipstick could then get onto your fabric, leave that off too. Save
              up
              > all the good cuss words you heard during the week, use them, generously,
              > when things are not going smoothly."
              >
              > now THAT's more like it!
              > susan

            • Siebel San