Re: Moulin Rouge/Corsets

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 8, 2002
      > Actually, I've heard from nurses who have taken care of very
      elderly women
      > that they were, in fact, deformed internally and externally from
      years of
      > corset wearing. I guess it depends who you talk to!

      Hmmm.... I'd like a bit more info.. as it would have to a be a very
      few women as corsets went out a long time ago so these women would
      be wearing them even though they were not in fashion.. say 1910s as
      the last time to be in fashion (1920s ones don't count they weren't
      made to constrict) so that's 90 years ago already.
      And they'd have to already be of an age to have worn them to not
      want to give them up... and the number of women over the age of 110
      must be statistically small. Just how deformed? I know you can
      change the shape of a bone over about 7 years (it was meant to be a
      positive thing.. ie for those of us with poor posture and long
      term 'deformities' occuring from that can be reversed).

      Just saying that these women wouldn't represent the average woman
      anyway. Which is why I was saying the deformed corpses that just
      happened to be of women who corseted were statistacally not a good
      representation of women in general too.

      http://www.corsets.de/node82.html
      "In fact, the liver was probably chosen as the afflicted organ,
      because autopsies not infrequently show it to look enlarged or
      distorted. There exists a normal anatomic variant in which the liver
      has an accessory lobe."

      Not saying that there isn't any effect, but what there was/is is far
      less than we seem to want to believe. We seem to want to believe
      that our ancestors were foolish and deformed themselves..

      One of these two following links also takes about liver lobes, see
      the quote above about that.
      http://www.staylace.com/medicaladvice/med_i.htm
      Though that too seems to be rather more focused on the pain being
      part of the pleasure hting. But they do make the distinction bewteen
      normal wearing of corsets and tight lacing.

      http://www.staylace.com/textarea/rena/_rena_q.htm
      Again, this is about tightlacing, but still interesing, a woman's
      account of the effetcs on her. Please note this is about *tight*
      lacing.
      Most women only laced 2-4" smaller than their normal size.. maybe
      ona few special occasions a bit more. You only need to look at
      exsisting garments (and I mean a wide range of them not just a
      handful) to see that while they are small.. proportionally not quite
      so.

      Finally:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0300090714/103-5003795-
      9937448

      I'm going to be reading it at the library rather than buy it for
      budgetary reasons;) (double the price and ad the same on for
      shipping and that's what it would cost me).

      michaela
    • peggy salvail
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 16, 2002
        OH Dear, you will be soooo dissapointed in me. I was
        there for a wedding and did not have a car at my
        disposal pluss I didn't not find out about the good
        deals on fabric till the day i was ready to leave.
        Pluss side is My sis still lives there so I could get
        her to send me something eh! I am a bit dissapointed
        but maybe i can make another trip there in the future
        and now I know. take care Peggy

        --- yum-yi <candyjgirl@...> wrote:
        > Yes, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I
        > sometimes
        > forget that there is also a town in Northern
        > Washington just along the border called Vancouver
        > too.
        > hehe
        > I hope that while you were there, you took advantage
        > of all the fabric stores!!!! I miss it so dearly now
        > that I am in a smaller center!
        > -Dawn
        >
        > --- peggy salvail <psalvail@...> wrote:
        > > to bad I didn''t know I just returned from
        > vancouver
        > > Oh that was Canada right? take care Peggy

        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
        http://www.hotjobs.com