RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Mens Victorian Bathing Costume

  • peggy salvail
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
      I have some family pics but at present am not at home
      can scan and send after the 16th if you are
      interested, Peggy

      --- Jackie Mullen <peascod@...> wrote:
      > I don't have pattern suggestions, but I have seen an
      > original one that
      > isfrom that era, I think. It looks much like a
      > "union suit" but is cut off
      > just above knee lenght, if I remember right, it was
      > a few years back that I
      > saw one. What I do remember is that it was made of
      > wool flannel, can you
      > imagine!
      >
      > Jackie

      HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
      http://www.hotjobs.com
    • Julia Logan Trimarco
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2002

        I would stay away from cotton lycra, since most suits were black or navy,
        and cotton lycra tends to fade in dark colors, and won't look as much like
        wool.
        There is a catalog for silk long underwear called WinterSilks. They use silk
        because it is lighter weight and more comfortable than wool, but wicks
        moisture away from the skin, unlike cotton, so you won't get a chill if you
        sweat. They may have a union suit you could alter to make a Victorian
        bathing suit, I believe they have lycra blends.
        -jypsie