Re: Moulin Rouge/Corsets

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 7, 2002
      > Consumption is the old term for Tuberculosis which is caught from
      another
      > infected person. It was common in earlier centuries when people
      lived in
      > very close quarters like tenemants. Wearing corsets probably
      didn't help
      > but they didn't cause it.

      Actually consumption was a bit of a generic term covering a range of
      diseases.. I have a good link...

      By the time of the movie setting TB was recognised as being caused
      by a bacterial agent but I think as the word consumption was used it
      was meant to be taken as not knowing what the disease actually was..
      like in La Traviata.

      I'm also not sure how far the knowelege of TB actually extended.
      There is a facinating book on the subject
      Fevered Lives: Tuberculosis in American Culture Since 1870
      I'm sure that's the one I read.. cretainly sounds like it.

      "Consumption is the most flattering of all diseases, as well as the
      most insidious and fatal," wrote Dr. Elizabeth Bigelow in her 1876
      senior thesis at the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania. She
      had seen what the disease had done to her own family.
      "Consumption [which included tuberculosis] set the standard for
      white middle-class beauty in the nineteenth century," writes Ott,
      and "pale, bedridden, wasting women and men quickened the romantic
      pulse of Victorian readers both here and abroad."

      Note the words: Consumption [which *included* tuberculosis]
      http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/OTTFEV.html
      http://www.hup.harvard.edu/reviews/OTTFEV_R.html
      yep, that's the book I read.

      michaela
    • peggy salvail
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 16, 2002
        OH Dear, you will be soooo dissapointed in me. I was
        there for a wedding and did not have a car at my
        disposal pluss I didn't not find out about the good
        deals on fabric till the day i was ready to leave.
        Pluss side is My sis still lives there so I could get
        her to send me something eh! I am a bit dissapointed
        but maybe i can make another trip there in the future
        and now I know. take care Peggy

        --- yum-yi <candyjgirl@...> wrote:
        > Yes, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I
        > sometimes
        > forget that there is also a town in Northern
        > Washington just along the border called Vancouver
        > too.
        > hehe
        > I hope that while you were there, you took advantage
        > of all the fabric stores!!!! I miss it so dearly now
        > that I am in a smaller center!
        > -Dawn
        >
        > --- peggy salvail <psalvail@...> wrote:
        > > to bad I didn''t know I just returned from
        > vancouver
        > > Oh that was Canada right? take care Peggy

        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
        http://www.hotjobs.com