v. puppetry

  • Sir Real
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hi all, I just received a commission for a traveling drag king show, the Men of Club Casanova (look for them in a queer bar near you this fall!)

      The performer (Pat Riarch) needs a 5 foot vulva puppet - her head to go through the vaginal opening. The thing is, it needs to be collapsible for travel.

      I was tentatively thinking of using tent poles, which can collapse down, as an internal structure... that is, take the poles out, fold them down. Then the vulva is just fabric and foam that can be rolled up...

      Any better ideas on how to do it?
      I also need to make a "Captain Cock" costume - does anyone know where to find fake chickens that glow in the NYC area? Also, any reccomendations on how to pad a lycra suit to give the impression of superhero muscles?

      regards,
      Sir Real
      (drag king, gender funking thing, and sometime costumer)

    • Flapper Gal
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
        Hi Sir,

        Well, not sure if this will help or not but if you
        can't find any glow chickens in NY you might try the
        Archie McPhee site www.mcphee.com or even calling them
        since they have *much more* stuff available there.
        Also, if I recall correctly they have a whole section
        of glow stuff.

        If you don't have any luck there, I have some great
        glow in the dark paint (can't recall what brand right
        now but could let you know) that would probably work
        well for you but painting a lot of chickens would be
        tedious!

        Good Luck,

        Flapper

        --- Sir Real <sirreal@...> wrote:
        > Hi all, I just received a commission for a traveling
        > drag king show, the Men of Club Casanova (look for
        > them in a queer bar near you this fall!)
        >
        > The performer (Pat Riarch) needs a 5 foot vulva
        > puppet - her head to go through the vaginal opening.
        > The thing is, it needs to be collapsible for travel.
        >

        > I was tentatively thinking of using tent poles,
        > which can collapse down, as an internal structure...
        > that is, take the poles out, fold them down. Then
        > the vulva is just fabric and foam that can be rolled
        > up...
        >
        > Any better ideas on how to do it?
        > I also need to make a "Captain Cock" costume - does
        > anyone know where to find fake chickens that glow in
        > the NYC area? Also, any reccomendations on how to
        > pad a lycra suit to give the impression of superhero
        > muscles?
        >
        > regards,
        > Sir Real
        > (drag king, gender funking thing, and sometime
        > costumer)

        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
        http://www.hotjobs.com
      • Sir Real
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2002
          Thank you, I'd never heard of McPhee! What I need is just one cockerel, but, it must glow quite brightly... a translucent bird I can put flashlights in might do it... wish me luck!

          On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 23:57:01 Flapper Gal wrote:

          >Hi Sir,
          >
          >Well, not sure if this will help or not but if you
          >can't find any glow chickens in NY you might try the
          >Archie McPhee site www.mcphee.com or even calling them
          >since they have *much more* stuff available there.
          >Also, if I recall correctly they have a whole section
          >of glow stuff.
          >
          >If you don't have any luck there, I have some great
          >glow in the dark paint (can't recall what brand right
          >now but could let you know) that would probably work
          >well for you but painting a lot of chickens would be
          >tedious!
          >

          >Good Luck,
          >
          >Flapper
          >

          >--- Sir Real <sirreal@...> wrote:
          >> Hi all, I just received a commission for a traveling
          >> drag king show, the Men of Club Casanova (look for
          >> them in a queer bar near you this fall!)
          >>
          >> The performer (Pat Riarch) needs a 5 foot vulva
          >> puppet - her head to go through the vaginal opening.
          >> The thing is, it needs to be collapsible for travel.
          >>

          >> I was tentatively thinking of using tent poles,
          >> which can collapse down, as an internal structure...
          >> that is, take the poles out, fold them down. Then
          >> the vulva is just fabric and foam that can be rolled
          >> up...
          >>
          >> Any better ideas on how to do it?
          >> I also need to make a "Captain Cock" costume - does
          >> anyone know where to find fake chickens that glow in
          >> the NYC area? Also, any reccomendations on how to
          >> pad a lycra suit to give the impression of superhero
          >> muscles?
          >>
          >> regards,
          >> Sir Real
          >> (drag king, gender funking thing, and sometime
          >> costumer)

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2002
            Can't say I have any great ideas, but I'd sure like to see
            the finished products :-)
            -Jessie (Yeah, I know, I'm useless)

            =====
            HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
            http://www.hotjobs.com
          • Julia Logan Trimarco
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2002
              >From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
              any reccomendations on how to pad a lycra suit to give the impression of
              superhero muscles?

              Neoprene might work, it comes in various thicknesses, and is nice and dense,
              so may look more real than something with more loft. It can be shaped at the
              edges with a razor blade, so you don't get hard edges. I would put a lycra
              unitard on a dress form with legs, and sew the neoprene on top, then, put
              another unitard on top to encase the neoprene.
              -jypsie