Mens Victorian Bathing Costume

  • dax2015
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
      Hi there,
      Can anyone direct me to a web site showing some good examples of mens
      bathing costumes in the Victorian era (mid to late 1900's or better
      yet patterns for bathing costumes. Any suggetions on fabrics that can
      be used to make some will also be welcome.
      Thanks
    • Jackie Mullen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
        I don't have pattern suggestions, but I have seen an original one that
        isfrom that era, I think. It looks much like a "union suit" but is cut off
        just above knee lenght, if I remember right, it was a few years back that I
        saw one. What I do remember is that it was made of wool flannel, can you
        imagine!

        Jackie

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
          I have some family pics but at present am not at home
          can scan and send after the 16th if you are
          interested, Peggy

          --- Jackie Mullen <peascod@...> wrote:
          > I don't have pattern suggestions, but I have seen an
          > original one that
          > isfrom that era, I think. It looks much like a
          > "union suit" but is cut off
          > just above knee lenght, if I remember right, it was
          > a few years back that I
          > saw one. What I do remember is that it was made of
          > wool flannel, can you
          > imagine!
          >
          > Jackie

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com
        • Julia Logan Trimarco
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2002

            I would stay away from cotton lycra, since most suits were black or navy,
            and cotton lycra tends to fade in dark colors, and won't look as much like
            wool.
            There is a catalog for silk long underwear called WinterSilks. They use silk
            because it is lighter weight and more comfortable than wool, but wicks
            moisture away from the skin, unlike cotton, so you won't get a chill if you
            sweat. They may have a union suit you could alter to make a Victorian
            bathing suit, I believe they have lycra blends.
            -jypsie