Re: Pattern for a Spandex/Lycra bodysuit

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Jackie Mullen" <peascod@i...>
      wrote:
      > I have never seen a pattern with gloves, but I know they can be
      made.
      > Footed bodysuits are or were, haven't looked lately, available in
      some of
      > the pattern books. What I would do is find a glove pattern (I
      think that
      > there is a link for glove patterns on the Cosutmer Manifesto's
      site) and add
      > that to the sleeve of the body suit.

      And there is a good site about sewing with lycra working from a
      block to make all sorts of wonderful patterns.

      Best of all she's free:
      http://211.26.24.19/patterns/index.htm

      She deals more with making swinsuits, but there is full leg and
      sleeve variations.

      So use the info from that to get the glove pattern an feet onto a
      suit. You might want to make seams down the fronts of each leg to
      make a fitting heel, but I also have just made legs longer and
      covered my feet that way. You might want to make a dart across the
      top of the ankle to neaten if you do it that way.

      http://www.glove.org/glovepattern.htm
      glove pattern

      michaela
    • lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
        I've had good luck making gloves this way (I like elbow-length with
        marabou feathers at the top...)

        Spread your fingers as wide apart as possible and trace around your
        hand onto paper. Include your arm as far as you want the glove to
        reach.
        Place pattern on stretchy fabric with the greatest stretch going across
        your fingers. Pin the paper down or trace around the pattern.
        Using a stretch stitch or small zig-zag, sew on the traced line without
        cutting out the fabric first. Remove paper if necessary.
        Trim seams to less than 1/4", turn right side out and try on.
        Make second glove (you can probably use the same pattern piece unless
        your hands are very different in size).

        Lee

        >What I would do is find a glove pattern

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • blondiejar
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2002
          Thank you Jackie, Michaela, and Lee...

          for your help. I certainly appreciate your responses. They have
          definitely sent me in the right direction to creating my costume. In
          fact, a link on The Costumer's Manifesto led me to Kwik Sew - they
          carry a pattern for bodysuits. Thanks again, and best wishes to all.

          Craig

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "blondiejar" <serrecuir@h...>