Pattern for a Spandex/Lycra bodysuit

  • blondiejar
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
      With Halloween right around the corner, I've begun putting together a
      costume. My biggest obstacle seems to be finding the pattern for a
      spandex bodysuit - a full suit with feet and gloves. I've searched
      high and low; I've even contacted several online sites that make
      these suits, but they won't give out or sell their patterns -
      apparantly, they're "top secret."

      Does anyone have or know where I can purchase this pattern? Any help
      would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks!!!

      Craig
    • Jackie Mullen
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
        I have never seen a pattern with gloves, but I know they can be made.
        Footed bodysuits are or were, haven't looked lately, available in some of
        the pattern books. What I would do is find a glove pattern (I think that
        there is a link for glove patterns on the Cosutmer Manifesto's site) and add
        that to the sleeve of the body suit. I have also just bought spandex or
        nylon gloves and dyed them to match the fabric and sewn them onto the ends
        of the sleeves. A note: only sew half way around, that way you can get the
        gloves part off your hand if you need your hands for something. If you
        can't find a body suit with feet, I have had success in just cutting the
        legs a bit longer and sewing the bottom shut (it will lay across the ends of
        the toes).

        Hope this helps some

        Jackie

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Jackie Mullen" <peascod@i...>
          wrote:
          > I have never seen a pattern with gloves, but I know they can be
          made.
          > Footed bodysuits are or were, haven't looked lately, available in
          some of
          > the pattern books. What I would do is find a glove pattern (I
          think that
          > there is a link for glove patterns on the Cosutmer Manifesto's
          site) and add
          > that to the sleeve of the body suit.

          And there is a good site about sewing with lycra working from a
          block to make all sorts of wonderful patterns.

          Best of all she's free:
          http://211.26.24.19/patterns/index.htm

          She deals more with making swinsuits, but there is full leg and
          sleeve variations.

          So use the info from that to get the glove pattern an feet onto a
          suit. You might want to make seams down the fronts of each leg to
          make a fitting heel, but I also have just made legs longer and
          covered my feet that way. You might want to make a dart across the
          top of the ankle to neaten if you do it that way.

          http://www.glove.org/glovepattern.htm
          glove pattern

          michaela
        • lee
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
            I've had good luck making gloves this way (I like elbow-length with
            marabou feathers at the top...)

            Spread your fingers as wide apart as possible and trace around your
            hand onto paper. Include your arm as far as you want the glove to
            reach.
            Place pattern on stretchy fabric with the greatest stretch going across
            your fingers. Pin the paper down or trace around the pattern.
            Using a stretch stitch or small zig-zag, sew on the traced line without
            cutting out the fabric first. Remove paper if necessary.
            Trim seams to less than 1/4", turn right side out and try on.
            Make second glove (you can probably use the same pattern piece unless
            your hands are very different in size).

            Lee

            >What I would do is find a glove pattern

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • blondiejar
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2002
              Thank you Jackie, Michaela, and Lee...

              for your help. I certainly appreciate your responses. They have
              definitely sent me in the right direction to creating my costume. In
              fact, a link on The Costumer's Manifesto led me to Kwik Sew - they
              carry a pattern for bodysuits. Thanks again, and best wishes to all.

              Craig

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "blondiejar" <serrecuir@h...>