Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: NYC

  • Julia Logan Trimarco
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002

      > > I have a favour to ask anyone out there. A few days ago there was info
      >on the Costumers Manifesto about a costume place in NYC that has an
      >interesting window display. I printed it and now can't find it and I'm
      >visiting NYC from Hawaii (where I live) in Sept for my 25th wedding
      >anniversary and want to visit. I'm also attending the New York Renaissance
      >Fair while there. I've not been to NYC in 27 years, and not since becoming
      >a theater costumer. Any places recommended
      for me to visit while there? I am catching a few musicals and plays while
      there for 8 days, including URINETOWN and THORUOUGLY MODERN MILLIE. Thanks
      for the help. Poppy Shell

      Poppy Shell,
      I have many suggestions!
      First, Greenberg and Hammer, the store with the display advertised in on
      57th Street between 5th and 6th Aves (not 100% sure of the closest ave.)
      It's a small store on the south side of the street, so keep your eyes
      pealed.
      Then, of course, there are the museums, they mentioned the Met and the
      Cloisters. If you're into medieval garb, the cloisters is for you. You can
      take the A train to 181st street, it's in a park which I forget the name of,
      but you can ask for detailed driections at the Met, at 81st and 5th on the
      park. Also check out the Frick, i think it's on museum mile (along the
      park, 5th ave).
      For shopping, don't miss the garment district. There is a fashion center
      info booth at 7th ave and... 39th or 40th? Along 7th ave in the fashion
      district there are fashion designer stars in the sidewalk.
      More later, library closing
      Jypsie

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
        I just joined and thought I had responded to you Poppy. If not, check out my website and stop by my storefront at 44 West 24th street. I can reccommend some things to see or do - but if you want to see costumes, just stand on a street corner for a few minutes!
                     Robert