Advanced Sewing Instruction

  • jennylizz
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2014

      Hello! I have been working as a free-lance designer/ seamstress for 15 years now. I know how to make most everything. However I have had only 2 or 3 actual classes. Most of what I know comes from experimenting, on-the-job experience and looking things up in various books and on the internet.

      I feel like I am very good at what i do, but I feel a certain lack in the area of boned bodices. I was wondering what the absolute best resource for proper technique would be. I am looking for period techniques for sure, but also for more modern styles, Strapless gowns, for example. I would be interested in workshops, books or web sites, anything that you all have found useful.

      Jenny Pool

    • Carla Pollard
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2014

        Have you tried you tube?  Thousands of how to videos on just about everything!

        Hello! I have been working as a free-lance designer/ seamstress for 15 years now. I know how to make most everything. However I have had only 2 or 3 actual classes. Most of what I know comes from experimenting, on-the-job experience and looking things up in various books and on the internet.

        I feel like I am very good at what i do, but I feel a certain lack in the area of boned bodices. I was wondering what the absolute best resource for proper technique would be. I am looking for period techniques for sure, but also for more modern styles, Strapless gowns, for example. I would be interested in workshops, books or web sites, anything that you all have found useful.

        Jenny Pool

        No virus found in this message.

      • greg spooner
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2014
          http://www.foundationsrevealed.com

          is a good resource site on all things corset and under garments

          Hello! I have been working as a free-lance designer/ seamstress for 15 years now. I know how to make most everything. However I have had only 2 or 3 actual classes. Most of what I know comes from experimenting, on-the-job experience and looking things up in various books and on the internet.

          I feel like I am very good at what i do, but I feel a certain lack in the area of boned bodices. I was wondering what the absolute best resource for proper technique would be. I am looking for period techniques for sure, but also for more modern styles, Strapless gowns, for example. I would be interested in workshops, books or web sites, anything that you all have found useful.

          Jenny Pool

        • dnstgctr
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2014
            the best resource I have found for corsets is Farthingales Corset Making Supplies

            They sell supplies, have on-line classes, and even have a free "tips and tricks" page.  Many of the techniques are applicable to boned bodices.

            -Karen

          • dh_mccunn
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2014
              Hi Jenny,

              I just released a series of 8 Interactive e-Books that describe how to make custom-fit corsets. This series is currently contemporary corsets. If the series proves popular, I would like to expand it to include period corsets which I have a passion for from my experience as a theatre costumer.

              http://custom-fit-corsets.deofsf.com/

              My Interactive e-Books combine embedded videos with written instructions on the same page. I call it "watch-a-little, read-a-little." It is the most powerful teaching medium I have had the pleasure using in the 40 years I have been showing people how to make custom-fit patterns.

              I cover a variety of corset designs, single and double layer corsets, and sewing techniques. I had the good fortune to work with models everywhere from a "B" to a "DD" cup to illustrate the process in both the videos and photos. The techniques I use to create the custom-fit corsets are unique. They require no measurements. You create a mold of the body using techniques that the women in my online custom-fit bra class came up with. The resulting patterns require little or no additional fitting. The website also includes links to resources for corset making from around the world.

              Best,

              Don McCunn

            • greg spooner
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2014
                www.stitchedupcorsetry.com

                another site for you ;-)

                the best resource I have found for corsets is Farthingales Corset Making Supplies

                They sell supplies, have on-line classes, and even have a free "tips and tricks" page.  Many of the techniques are applicable to boned bodices.
                -Karen

              • Bobbie Kalben
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2014

                  For gowns, I suggest the book “Bridal Couture: Fine Sewing Techniques for Wedding Gowns and Evening Wear” by Susan Khalje.  You can purchase it at her website http://susankhalje.com/shop/

                  Bobbie Kalben

                  bkalben@...

                  http://tailoretta.wordpress.com/

                • Jo Mimms
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2014
                    Definitely a very good book - I learned a lot about couture sewing through Ms. Khalje's lessons. I no longer have the items I created based on her methods as I've lost too much weight and have limited storage. I gifted others with the items so that they can continue to be enjoyed.