what to do with this fabric?

  • Karen Patrick
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2014
      I was hoping this group might have an idea an what to do with some vintage fabric I recently acquired.  Since I know how to sew, a friend of mine cleaning out her grandmother's estate thought I would like it and gave it to me.  It is a heavier weight cotton with an adorable strawberry print; obvious border on each side; a tag with "Genuine Wilendur Cloth" is pinned to it.  I have about 16 yards of it.  Tricky part is that it is only 17" wide, but the edges are finished with a tiny shirttail hem.  Any insight would be helpful.  Thank you!
      -Karen
    • Susan Toker
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2014
        Apparently the "fabric" is it a table cloth and considered a collectible.  You might want to google and learn about it before you cut it up.

        Susan

        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2014

          On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Karen Patrick koalabar@... [TheCostumersManifesto] <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I was hoping this group might have an idea an what to do with some vintage fabric I recently acquired.  Since I know how to sew, a friend of mine cleaning out her grandmother's estate thought I would like it and gave it to me.  It is a heavier weight cotton with an adorable strawberry print; obvious border on each side; a tag with "Genuine Wilendur Cloth" is pinned to it.  I have about 16 yards of it.  Tricky part is that it is only 17" wide, but the edges are finished with a tiny shirttail hem.  Any insight would be helpful.  Thank you!
          -Karen

        • Poppy
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2014
            This would be great vintage looking aprons you could sell on Etsy or ebay.  Could it make cute pillows?  Not really right for most costuming, I would guess.  Good Luck! Poppy on Kauai

            To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
            From: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 20:45:56 -0400
            Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] what to do with this fabric?

            On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Karen Patrick koalabar@... [TheCostumersManifesto] <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            I was hoping this group might have an idea an what to do with some vintage fabric I recently acquired.  Since I know how to sew, a friend of mine cleaning out her grandmother's estate thought I would like it and gave it to me.  It is a heavier weight cotton with an adorable strawberry print; obvious border on each side; a tag with "Genuine Wilendur Cloth" is pinned to it.  I have about 16 yards of it.  Tricky part is that it is only 17" wide, but the edges are finished with a tiny shirttail hem.  Any insight would be helpful.  Thank you!
            -Karen

          • Diana Thompson
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2014
              Here is a link to several pages of Wilendur linens on ebay. Wilendur was a very popular manufacturer of tablecloths and draperies in the 40'and 50's and is collectible to the right market ( of course) You may not want to cut it, or, perhaps actually cut it and make tablecloths and sell them as completed. Make sure you leave the name in the selvage though :)
              Wilendur also was a manufacturer of a top line of cloth diapers. Either way, I am sure there is a market for it. Good luck !!

              http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Vintage+WILENDUR+Summer+Floral+Cottage+Tablecloth+PETUNIA+WREATHS+Label+COLORFUL

              diana

              M.Diana Thompson
              www.blackthistledesigns.com

              As A Courtesy To Others... When Forwarding Emails, Please ALWAYS without being reminded,  Delete Sender's Information, And Send  Bcc To Prevent Spam And ID Theft.
            • tjchatham
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2014
                Karen,
                If the fabric is 17" wide, it's printed kitchen towel fabric. You can make kitchen towels from it, or place mats, table runners or any kitchen linens like potholders, mixer or blender covers, etc. You could make an entire set of matching kitchen linens for gifts or for sale.
                Tess
              • Beth P
                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2014
                  If you insist on cutting it, the width is perfect for a
                  traditionally-constructed kimono.
                • tjchatham
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 14, 2014
                    I haven't seen my reply to this message so I'll try again. If the fabric is 17" wide, then it's printed dish towel fabric. That's the standard width of dish or hand  toweling by the yard. You could make it up as dish towels, or use it for any kitchen type linens.... table runners, placemats, covers for kitchen appliances like toaster, mixer, blender, etc., potholders and oven mitts, etc. You could make sets as gifts or to sell.
                    Tess