Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] The reason for Poly-Rayon Ritual Robes

  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
      though, one uses the type of fabric one wants....synthetics dont usually mix well with majick.
      being the maker and wearer of ritual robes, myself...never would i use a synthetic fabric for anything as important as that.  for me, it just doest seem appropriate.
      i use a linen/cotton blend fabric for the very reasons you talk about..the drape, movement and ease of care.  it does need to be laundered (however you plan to launder the robe after it's made) before cutting though so it does whatever its going to do.  once that's done it will always be the way it is.  the only change i've ever noticed by doing this has been a very slight shrinkage.
      bright blessings,
      paula

      ________________________________
      From: Wade MacMorrighan <Wade@...>
      Date: 08/28/2013 4:09 PM (GMT-06:00)
      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

      Hey guys, I am making some ritual robes using the butte rick wizard robe/ costume pattern #4050, but I have been advised by a High Priestess whom I trust to use a poly-rayon blend (they'll be basic black, though the bell sleeves will be lined in a scrumptious cardinal red satin). Generally where, within a fabric store, should I find fabric in near equal proportions of polyester and rayon? The manager of my local Joanne's seemed ill-qualified to assist me. I poured over the polyester fabric and saw nothing there! :( ....Just poly-cotton blends. And finally, if I should decide to sell any of my hand-made textiles, if there a formula that I could use for calculating a minimum cost to charge for my items?__,

      _._,___

    • Wade MacMorrighan
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2013
        Thanks for replying, Paula. You make a very valid point....one that I have held and observed in practice over the years. Though, if I may speculate for the moment, and try to get inside the mind of Laurie and the followers of her tradition, the reason why, I think, the natural or synthetic fibers of their ritual robes do not matter a great deal to them is because--if I may paraphrase her brilliant book, Power of the Witch--the energy that Witches work with, which is able to pass between stars ad planets, would have to be fairly feeble indeed, if it could suddenly be halted by man-made structures, and even the clothes that we wear.

        By the way, because I am re-learning how to sew (I'm 36 and haven't sewn a thing since Jr. High!), I should love to see some of the items you've sewn, if you wouldn't mind my asking! Because I am re-learning, I have set-up a blog to sort of chart my progress called Clotho's Loom (I've actually named my new sewing/ embroidery machine "Clotho"! LOL! Please don't judge me. And, if you'd like to keep in touch with me, I am on FB, also: https://www.facebook.com/MacMorrighan

        It's a pleasure to have made your acquaintance, Paula. Okay, I mut get back to work on that book.... ONE DAY I hope to finish it! :P

        Take Care,
        Wade

[...]

      • kneebytr
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2013
          If they use candles or bonfires they mat wish to use natural fiber cloth, or alt least a poly/cotton blend. They are more flame resistant than poly/rayon, and won't melt and stick to you when they do catch fire. Some poly/ rayon may be treated to be flame retardant, like Halloween costumes, but a lot of folks who have Scout, camping, or historical reenactment experience prefer natural fibers, especially after putting out someone that had a coal or ember pop out of a fire onto a fleece or poly/vinyl quilted jacket. --- In thecostumersmanifesto@yahoogroups.com, <Wade@...> wrote: Hey guys, I am making some ritual robes using the butte rick wizard robe/ costume pattern #4050, but I have been advised by a High Priestess whom I trust to use a poly-rayon blend (they'll be basic black, though the bell sleeves will be lined in a scrumptious cardinal red satin). Generally where, within a fabric store, should I find fabric in near equal proportions of polyester and rayon? The manager of my local Joanne's seemed ill-qualified to assist me. I poured over the polyester fabric and saw nothing there! :( ....Just poly-cotton blends. And finally, if I should decide to sell any of my hand-made textiles, if there a formula that I could use for calculating a minimum cost to charge for my items?__,

          _._,___

        • Wade MacMorrighan
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
            Hey guys, I thought you might like my personal sewing blog. It's new but intended to track my progress as a new Pagan Sewist: http://clothosloom.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-lunatic-fringe.html Considering the theme if my latest entry, I am very curious about the bad fabric shopping experiences of others.