Re: boning

  • vibrina
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 21, 2013
      http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Elizabethan-Ruff
      There's a video near the end of this page that has a quick and dirty way to make a Elizabethan ruff out of paper for kids. You could put a little more time into it than they do and have something that will work for your five minutes on stage.

      Vibrina

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Rohrbach" <pattyjo110@...> wrote:

      > Yes I did put a zip in the top of the dress, Also I am making the bodice and
      > skirt separate so I can step into the skirt and have someone zip me up and
      > away we go. However I would like to make one of those big Victorian collars
      > that stand not a ruffle ruff but a stand up hi sort of thing , I don't know
      > what is called. Anyway I see lots of how to's for ruffs but not this stand
      > up collar. I want to know the quick cheap, looks nice not really period but
      > gets the point across sort of way. Any ideas oh and how to attach it to the
      > bodice quickly. I will be in this dress for 5 min that is all. I don't want
      > to spend lots of money or time but do want it to pass LOL. Help anyone ??
      > I am supposed to look like Elizabeth the first so the audience instantly
      > knows who I am supposed to be. This is a comedy not Shakespeare.
      >

      > Pattyjo

    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 22, 2013
        Yes I knew that sorry, not a fan of hook and loop so I will not be using
        that. I have the wonder fabric called not sure of spelling - - Foss shape
        well it is like foss shape but better, you can sew it and shape it and them
        steam it and it hardens to the shape you want. I made the crown for The
        Producers out of it and it worked very well. I think I will try that covered
        in the same fabric as the bodice with trim yet to be determined. A dear
        friend of my who taught costume design at a local university here convinced
        me that I will have to make the back of the bodice square and not the v
        shape of the pattern in order for the large collar to work . That is what I
        was trying to avoid but it is what it is . So I will need to cut a new back
        and lining and boning darn it !! Tks for your suggestions and help.

        Pattyjo