Re: boning

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 21, 2013
      Ah, yes, invisible zippers...their own special kind of hell. Our designer loves to get dresses that have these in them, and as soon as we get them, we start ordering zippers to replace them. Usually, before the first replacement zipper has arrived, we've already had at least one invisible zipper die on us, and on a really bad day, we've had three of them die in the same afternoon (when you're doing three shows a day, and each show has a dozen or so costume changes in it, stuff like that happens).

      My first year working for the park, our designer (different designer back then) had picked out these red two-piece womens suits for one of the dance numbers...problem was, they had no stretch to the material to speak of, and the closure was an invisible zipper up the seat. They destroyed the first one in less than a week, and I could see why, looking at the choreography...but the production manager wouldn't let me replace them with a heavier zipper because she was afraid it would ruin the look of the pants (even though you can't see the zipper when they're wearing the jacket, which was always...)

      Two weeks and four zippers later, she finally relented. Put in a parka zipper. Didn't have to do another repair on those outfits for the rest of the season.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "thecostumersmanifesto" <thecostumersmanifesto@...> wrote:

      > And in the late 1960s everyone had a brief enthusiasm for "invisible" zippers for stage, which we all tried and then ended up having one of these two scenarios (usually the second one) happen and scar us for life.
    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 22, 2013
        Yes I knew that sorry, not a fan of hook and loop so I will not be using
        that. I have the wonder fabric called not sure of spelling - - Foss shape
        well it is like foss shape but better, you can sew it and shape it and them
        steam it and it hardens to the shape you want. I made the crown for The
        Producers out of it and it worked very well. I think I will try that covered
        in the same fabric as the bodice with trim yet to be determined. A dear
        friend of my who taught costume design at a local university here convinced
        me that I will have to make the back of the bodice square and not the v
        shape of the pattern in order for the large collar to work . That is what I
        was trying to avoid but it is what it is . So I will need to cut a new back
        and lining and boning darn it !! Tks for your suggestions and help.

        Pattyjo