Re: boning

  • thecostumersmanifesto
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 20 6:29 PM
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jeannets" <jeannets@...> wrote:

      > NEVER use a zipper?! That is more than ridiculous.

      Not really, that is just "dated" advice. We admittedly did use zips in my 1st costume studio, despite that oft spoken rule (zippers=bad) because of build time, but back then, in the 1970s, we knew that at any time the zipper could break a tooth and pop open entirely at any moment, on stage, or, worse, kind of jam in on itself, and require instant seam ripping of the whole zipper area to get an actress out of it. In the dark, on the side of the stage, in the middle of a quick change. Zippers back then (before the invention of those big molded nylon tooth parka zippers) were pretty unreliable. And in the late 1960s everyone had a brief enthusiasm for "invisible" zippers for stage, which we all tried and then ended up having one of these two scenarios (usually the second one) happen and scar us for life. You have no idea how panic feels till you are a new dresser, about to do an under 2 min total quick change on your leading lady when you find she is completely stuck in the dress, and you have to literally tear it off her in order to start your change. (Plus, afterwards fix the dress you just destroyed.) People who went through this really don't trust zippers. It took me years, and folks proving to me you could really not stick those heavy plastic parka zips without trying awfully hard, before I began to trust zippers again.
    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 22 10:38 AM
        Yes I knew that sorry, not a fan of hook and loop so I will not be using
        that. I have the wonder fabric called not sure of spelling - - Foss shape
        well it is like foss shape but better, you can sew it and shape it and them
        steam it and it hardens to the shape you want. I made the crown for The
        Producers out of it and it worked very well. I think I will try that covered
        in the same fabric as the bodice with trim yet to be determined. A dear
        friend of my who taught costume design at a local university here convinced
        me that I will have to make the back of the bodice square and not the v
        shape of the pattern in order for the large collar to work . That is what I
        was trying to avoid but it is what it is . So I will need to cut a new back
        and lining and boning darn it !! Tks for your suggestions and help.

        Pattyjo