Re: boning

  • jeannets
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 18, 2013
      NEVER use a zipper?! That is more than ridiculous.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "don_mccunn" <Don@...> wrote:

      > Pat,
      >
      > My professor of costuming in college said NEVER put a zipper in a costume. If something goes wrong, there is no quick fix. The costume can easily become unwearable.
      >
      > Why not use a busk in front and lacing in the back? Busks are designed for that very purpose. Without doing the research, I don't think a busk like this was Elizabethan, but the look of a center front seam is not uncommon. It would be easy enough to hide the opening for stage use.
      >
      > http://corsetmaking.com/category/standard-busks.html
      >
      > Best,
      > Don McCunn
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/How-to-Make-Sewing-Patterns/
      >
      > > I have a question for you all, I am making an Elizabethan dress for a plus
      > > size woman. I am making the size 24 pattern . The pattern calls for grommets
      > > and lacing but since she needs to get in and out fast I decided to put a
      > > zipper instead. My question is she is very busty and the pattern calls for
      > > boning in the bodice front, should I leave out the boning ? Will it look and
      > > fit better without it? Is Simp pattern number 2589. Thank you for your
      > > help.
      > >
      > > Pat

    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 22, 2013
        Yes I knew that sorry, not a fan of hook and loop so I will not be using
        that. I have the wonder fabric called not sure of spelling - - Foss shape
        well it is like foss shape but better, you can sew it and shape it and them
        steam it and it hardens to the shape you want. I made the crown for The
        Producers out of it and it worked very well. I think I will try that covered
        in the same fabric as the bodice with trim yet to be determined. A dear
        friend of my who taught costume design at a local university here convinced
        me that I will have to make the back of the bodice square and not the v
        shape of the pattern in order for the large collar to work . That is what I
        was trying to avoid but it is what it is . So I will need to cut a new back
        and lining and boning darn it !! Tks for your suggestions and help.

        Pattyjo