Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: boning

  • Diana Thompson
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 16, 2013
      I have always avoided zippers for productions at all costs and it is a rule
      in most larger shows and theatres.
      I simply leave the opening, have 3 or four large hook and eyes, and have a
      "mock" lacing flap..secured on one side stitched right on, and then flips
      over the now hook and eye closed opening (some gap, but covered now, and
      totally secure). The mock flap lacing flap comes over and secures with four
      hooks and eyes, or sometimes a few strips of light velcro,,,(there is no
      way anyone in a busy theatre hears it if you loosen it softly.) Very quick
      and efficient, also, in the cases of budget minded-ness for smaller theatre
      groups, if someone smaller ultimately plays the part, the lacing flap can
      be secured over and really laced to take it in. Also, having come across
      this with a recent customer, if the plus sized actress is worried about
      lack of boning or a busk is not feasible, try to convince them also to wear
      PROPER undergarments, meaning a modern lycra minimizer. No amount of boning
      does all the support :) and the dress will fit better. Just my two cents.

      --
      M.diana thompson
      www.blackthistledesigns.com

      *As A Courtesy To Others... When Forwarding Emails, Please ALWAYS without
      being reminded, Delete Sender's Information, And Send Bcc To Prevent Spam
      And ID Theft.*

    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 22, 2013
        Yes I knew that sorry, not a fan of hook and loop so I will not be using
        that. I have the wonder fabric called not sure of spelling - - Foss shape
        well it is like foss shape but better, you can sew it and shape it and them
        steam it and it hardens to the shape you want. I made the crown for The
        Producers out of it and it worked very well. I think I will try that covered
        in the same fabric as the bodice with trim yet to be determined. A dear
        friend of my who taught costume design at a local university here convinced
        me that I will have to make the back of the bodice square and not the v
        shape of the pattern in order for the large collar to work . That is what I
        was trying to avoid but it is what it is . So I will need to cut a new back
        and lining and boning darn it !! Tks for your suggestions and help.

        Pattyjo