NYC

  • Liberty Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2002
      I have a sister that used to live in NYC so I asked her what you should
      check out. She said to go to the Metropolitan Museum. She said that they
      have an entire wing that is dedicated to historical clothing. She also said
      to dedicate more then one day to the museum because you can't possibly see
      it all in one day! =) It is on the south-east side of Central Park.
      Hope this helps!

      Liberty (aka Saoirse)

      =========
      "The Creator has not given you a longing to do that which you have no
      ability to do." O. S. Marden
      =========

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28, 2002
        You definitely want to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is located
        on 5th Avenue and 83rd street. Take the 4, 5 or 6 subway train to 86th
        street and Lexington Avenues and then walk over to 5th Avenue. You cannot
        miss it. The Costume collection is located downstairs and currently there is
        an ADRIAN exhibit. I am not sure how long that the exhibit will last. The
        rest of the museum is fabulous as well. Check out the African and Asian
        halls as they also have fabulous displays of historic cultural costumes as
        well as the Armour hall. Hope that this helps. You also have the American
        Indian museum downtown if that interests you at all.

        Kimberly
      • Jocelyn Vilter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2002
          Poppy,

          I believe the place you're talking about with the display is Greenberg and
          Hammer.

          Sounds like a great trip and congratulations on 25 years!

          Jocelyn Vilter

          > From: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: 28 Jul 2002 23:46:29 -0000
          > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Digest Number 402
          >
          > Aloha, got into the alley cat web site but I have a favour to ask anyone out
          > there. A few days ago there was info on the Costumers Manifesto about a
          > costume place in NYC that has an interesting window display. I printed it
          > and now can't find it and I'm visiting NYC from Hawaii (where I live) in
          > Sept for my 25th wedding anniversary and want to visit. I'm also attending
          > the New York Renaissance Fair while there. I've not been to NYC in 27
          > years, and not since becoming a theater costumer. Any places recommended
          > for me to visit while there? I am catching a few musicals and plays while
          > there for 8 days, including URINETOWN and THORUOUGLY MODERN MILLIE. Thanks
          > for the help. Poppy Shell
        • Jeanne Harney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29, 2002
            And you simply MUST hit the Cloisters. It's affiliated iwth the Met, but at
            a different location. I can't tell you how to get there but anyone in NYC
            can. The tapestries, the architecture, the whole medieval atmosphere there
            is to die for...

            Jeanne
            A headon collision between Morticia Adams and Martha Stewart.
            > You definitely want to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is
            located
            > on 5th Avenue and 83rd street. Take the 4, 5 or 6 subway train to 86th
            > street and Lexington Avenues and then walk over to 5th Avenue. You cannot
            > miss it. The Costume collection is located downstairs and currently there
            is
            > an ADRIAN exhibit. I am not sure how long that the exhibit will last.
            The
            > rest of the museum is fabulous as well. Check out the African and Asian
            > halls as they also have fabulous displays of historic cultural costumes as
            > well as the Armour hall. Hope that this helps. You also have the
            American
            > Indian museum downtown if that interests you at all.
            >
            > Kimberly
          • Julia Logan Trimarco
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3 10:02 AM

              > > I have a favour to ask anyone out there. A few days ago there was info
              >on the Costumers Manifesto about a costume place in NYC that has an
              >interesting window display. I printed it and now can't find it and I'm
              >visiting NYC from Hawaii (where I live) in Sept for my 25th wedding
              >anniversary and want to visit. I'm also attending the New York Renaissance
              >Fair while there. I've not been to NYC in 27 years, and not since becoming
              >a theater costumer. Any places recommended
              for me to visit while there? I am catching a few musicals and plays while
              there for 8 days, including URINETOWN and THORUOUGLY MODERN MILLIE. Thanks
              for the help. Poppy Shell

              Poppy Shell,
              I have many suggestions!
              First, Greenberg and Hammer, the store with the display advertised in on
              57th Street between 5th and 6th Aves (not 100% sure of the closest ave.)
              It's a small store on the south side of the street, so keep your eyes
              pealed.
              Then, of course, there are the museums, they mentioned the Met and the
              Cloisters. If you're into medieval garb, the cloisters is for you. You can
              take the A train to 181st street, it's in a park which I forget the name of,
              but you can ask for detailed driections at the Met, at 81st and 5th on the
              park. Also check out the Frick, i think it's on museum mile (along the
              park, 5th ave).
              For shopping, don't miss the garment district. There is a fashion center
              info booth at 7th ave and... 39th or 40th? Along 7th ave in the fashion
              district there are fashion designer stars in the sidewalk.
              More later, library closing
              Jypsie

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3 12:59 PM
                I just joined and thought I had responded to you Poppy. If not, check out my website and stop by my storefront at 44 West 24th street. I can reccommend some things to see or do - but if you want to see costumes, just stand on a street corner for a few minutes!
                             Robert