Re: boning

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 12, 2013
      Personally, I would go with a sport zipper (with the molded teeth that are about 1/16" to 1/8" thick)...while the place I order them from calls them #5 zippers, most of the retail places I see them sell them as sport or parka zippers. However, if you've got the corset underneath the dress, what you've got should work pretty well, because the corset will take the brunt of anything that would strain the endurance of the zipper (you just have to make sure you get laced in as tight or tighter than you had it when you fit the dress over it or you could find the process of getting into the dress much more challenging than you expected.) Make sure you put a hook and eye at the top of the zipper and have whoever is zipping you up do that first...it will save a LOT of wear and tear on the zipper!

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Rohrbach" <pattyjo110@...> wrote:

      > Thank you so much , I think I will place the zip in the back. I think there
      > will be someone to zip me up back stage. I got a 22in polyester all-purpose
      > zipper
    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 22, 2013
        Yes I knew that sorry, not a fan of hook and loop so I will not be using
        that. I have the wonder fabric called not sure of spelling - - Foss shape
        well it is like foss shape but better, you can sew it and shape it and them
        steam it and it hardens to the shape you want. I made the crown for The
        Producers out of it and it worked very well. I think I will try that covered
        in the same fabric as the bodice with trim yet to be determined. A dear
        friend of my who taught costume design at a local university here convinced
        me that I will have to make the back of the bodice square and not the v
        shape of the pattern in order for the large collar to work . That is what I
        was trying to avoid but it is what it is . So I will need to cut a new back
        and lining and boning darn it !! Tks for your suggestions and help.

        Pattyjo