Re: boning

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 11, 2013
      I've had to put zippers in several corsets for our shows at the park over the past few seasons. Granted, they aren't Elizabethan corsets, they're more modern...but I ended up cutting the fabric between the stays near the back or else under one side (depending on the preference of the designer and whether or not the woman wearing it would be dressing herself or having someone help her). Used #5 zippers in colors that matched (or were close to matching) the corset and used double-fold bias tape to sew over the cut edges to finish them. It's amazing how much wear and tear you can get from a #5 zipper. Yeah, they aren't invulnerable...but if they can stand up to a summer of quick changes into and out of dance numbers for us, I think you'll be okay for a few nights of quick-changing into it for a few minutes of standing on stage. I would trust a zipper a lot more than I would trust Velcro in that situation...

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Rohrbach" <pattyjo110@...> wrote:

      > I have a question for you all, I am making an Elizabethan dress for a plus
      > size woman. I am making the size 24 pattern . The pattern calls for grommets
      > and lacing but since she needs to get in and out fast I decided to put a
      > zipper instead.
    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 22, 2013
        Yes I knew that sorry, not a fan of hook and loop so I will not be using
        that. I have the wonder fabric called not sure of spelling - - Foss shape
        well it is like foss shape but better, you can sew it and shape it and them
        steam it and it hardens to the shape you want. I made the crown for The
        Producers out of it and it worked very well. I think I will try that covered
        in the same fabric as the bodice with trim yet to be determined. A dear
        friend of my who taught costume design at a local university here convinced
        me that I will have to make the back of the bodice square and not the v
        shape of the pattern in order for the large collar to work . That is what I
        was trying to avoid but it is what it is . So I will need to cut a new back
        and lining and boning darn it !! Tks for your suggestions and help.

        Pattyjo