Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Seams

  • Kathy Hoover
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2011
      At 12:30 PM 4/13/2009, you wrote:
      >As to the etymology I could not find anything. But the basic
      definition of felled is "to cause to fall."

      According to the Oxford English dictionary online, 'felled' is defined as:
      "2. Of a seam: Sewn down so as to be level with the material.
      1885 BRIETZCKE & ROOPER Plain Needlewk. 29 A felled seam, when
      finished, must lie perfectly flat on both sides."

      So your seam allowances, which were sticking up, have been 'caused to
      fall'--as your definition said.

      And under the verb "fell:"
      6. To stitch down (the wider of the two edges left projecting by a
      seam) so that it lies flat over the other edge and leaves a smooth
      surface on the under-side of the seam. Also, to fell a seam.
      [Etymological identity with the other senses is not certain; but
      the general sense 'cause to fall' appears applicable.]
      1758
      <http://dictionary.oed.com.www.libproxy.wvu.edu/help/bib/oed2-f2.html#franklin>F<http://dictionary.oed.com.www.libproxy.wvu.edu/help/bib/oed2-f2.html#franklin>RANKLIN
      Let. Wks. 1887 III. 7 It is to be sewed together, the edges being
      first felled down. 1842
      <http://dictionary.oed.com.www.libproxy.wvu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b.html#barham>B<http://dictionary.oed.com.www.libproxy.wvu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b.html#barham>ARHAM
      Ingol. Leg., Aunt Fanny, Each..began working..'Felling the Seams',
      and 'whipping the Frill'. 1887 Spons' Househ. Managem., Workroom 891
      Fell down the turnings, or only overcast them. 1892 Weldon's Ladies'
      Jrnl. Oct. 73 This opening is turned in once on the wrong side, over
      which is felled a piece of binding.
      absol. 1862
      <http://dictionary.oed.com.www.libproxy.wvu.edu/help/bib/oed2-m4.html#m-t-morrall>M.
      T.
      M<http://dictionary.oed.com.www.libproxy.wvu.edu/help/bib/oed2-m4.html#m-t-morrall>ORRALL
      Needle-making 41 I'm teaching little Mary to gather and to fell.

      But another interesting part of the definition was that 'fell' also
      meant: "1. The skin or hide of an animal: a. with the hair, wool,
      etc. " This definition went back to Beowulf!

      Obviously where we get "felt," as well. I tried to find a
      connection, but was not successful--unless the fur or hair of the
      animal (which is standing up, is 'felled' when it is matted/processed
      into 'felt.' Maybe I'm pushing this too far....

      Kathy Hoover