diagonal ruching/pleating

  • cmphill2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
      Firstly I apologise if this issue has already been addressed. I did a search and didn't find anything useful.

      I need some advice.

      My daughter needs a prom dress made out of chiffon, just like the one in the link below.

      http://www.persun.co.uk/images/v/201202/b/13300753793.jpg

      http://www.persun.co.uk/chiffon-one-shoulder-ruching-beading-aline-prom-dress-p-1397.html

      I've got a reasonable amount of experience with sewing, but absolutely none when it comes to chiffon.

      The pattern is not the problem – more the construction.
      I am planning to sew the skirt to the bodice.

      The skirt would be a straight piece of material gathered = so it should hang with the grainline – is it likely to distort?

      I'm just not sure how to do the pleats/ruching so that they don't fall apart.

      Any suggestions would be greatly sppreciated or even some web links.

      thanks
      Coral
    • feltedfigures
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2013
        First of all, you need to fit the foundation bodice. The draping is bias cut and relies on tension to stay put over the under bodice. So it is cut shorter than the foundation and stretched to fit. You will then likely need a few stitches to hold things in place.

        So after you have the under bodice ready, cut a large bias shape and drape it over the bodice. Best to use a mannequin for this step, or your daughter. Mind the pins! Some hand gathering will help control areas like the waist and shoulder, until you get the degree of stretch working right.

        Good luck!

        Edwina
        Www.dollstreetdreamers.com
        Online learning and creative fun!