Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] drawing books

  • Julia Logan Trimarco
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23 4:31 PM
      There is a book called Dynamic Drapery, I forget the author, but it is by
      the same artist that does a series of drawing books, Dynamic Light and
      Shade, etc.
      But my best advice is to take a figure drawing class from a local art
      school. Or if you can't afford it, see if they have open studio nights with
      a live nude model. I can't emphasis how much one summer class helped me!
      After a summer of looking at the nude, I looked through my portfolio and
      could suddenly see where the mistakes in anatomy were, and how to fix them.
      If you can't find a small local art school, then try to get a significant
      other or a very open minded friend to let you draw them nude. Start with
      nude, add clothes later, it will help to create drawings that are more than
      paper dolls, but have life.
      I also collect old fashion magazines, and those often have good bodies to
      draw. If you're cheap like me, you can get your library to give you the old
      magazines they are going to throw away. Most libraries only keep hard copy
      for a year or so.
      Good luck!
      Jypsie