Costume & Makeup Classes near Concord, CA

  • Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2013
      Costume & Makeup Classes in SF
      Bay Area BY TARA MAGINNIS: For all those costume junkies in the San
      Francisco Bay Area who have used my web site The
      Costumer’s Manifesto http://costumes.org, or seen my workshops at Costume
      College, and told me they “wish I could take one of your classes”; you now
      can.  I will be teaching a beginning
      Costume Design and Construction class at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill
      this Spring from 12:30-3:20  Fridays, Jan
      18-May 24, and a Theatrical Makeup class 9:30-10:45am on Tuesdays and Thursdays
      January 15-May 23.  Both these classes
      also require some “lab” work on shows at DVC (or another theatre by
      arrangement) so you can test out your new skills on real actors and a real
      stage.  This lab time can be fit into a
      variety of schedules, but primarily is held 11-7 Tu-Th, or 3:30-6:30 F, and
      during evenings/weekends working backstage on shows.

      Drama 113 Introduction to Costume
      Design (2.5 units) Because we have only 4 sewing machines for a class
      of  30, this course will be very
      costume-crafts oriented, with projects in distressing, dyeing, mutant
      millinery, swatching, rendering, and other stranger stuff .  Lab assignments may include work on DVC
      shows, “Richard III” or “All in the Timing”.

      Drama 112 Stage Makeup(2 units)
      will emphasize both design and application of makeup that connects both with
      the costume design and the face of the wearer.  This is not a course on making-over people for looking pretty in street
      makeup, on the contrary, it will include how to make yourself look older,
      beat-up, dead or undead, scary, dorky, unreal, mask-like, animalistic, or fabulously
      glamorous like a drag queen.  Lab
      assignments may include work on DVC shows, “Richard III” or “All in the Timing”.

      HOW TO SIGN UP: Go to the DVC web site at http://www.dvc.edu/
      for complete information and online registration.   DVC is located at Pleasant Hill campus• 321 Golf Club Road, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523 • (925) 685-1230  The classes still have
      places open and DVC’s tuition is super cheap by the way.  Please note also, if you see a class has
      filled on your computer, I never turn down a student who shows up on the first
      day of class.

      ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
      Founder of The Costumer's Manifesto Wiki at http://thecostumersmanifesto.com
      Design Portfolio at http://TaraMaginnis.com Class Photos at http://TaraMaginnisClasses.Shutterfly.com
      Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/