Re: Source for Luminous Fabric/tech notes

  • redbrocade
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
      Thought this might be helpful to more than just me so here are some notes on the luminex product

      The threads are similar to heavy gauge filament fishing wire, so they look and feel plasticy but can be disguised with an overlay (I tried organza). It's ribbed so the fabric itself is very flexible on the vertical where the fiber optics line up but the horizontal less so. Think of a bamboo placemat.Folding crushes the glass fiber so you get a light scar. I saw the skirt and where the model had sat on it there was the lit up equivalent of crunches you get with a crispy silk, but these are permanent. It can be folded easily if you go with the ribs. Their display skirt had pleats.

      The luminescence is like thousands of pinpoints of light, subtle in a lit room similar to a light sprinkle of glitter, but in the dark it has more of a ribbed effect. You can see this in their website photos. It's sold in panels mostly for use as table runners or wall panels and they back it with a cheap cottony type fabric, or the pillows have an acetate type satin. Waistbands are made of the same stuff. If you ask for just the fabric you get the opague sheets. It's lightweight, I'd try a midweight vinyl for garment mockups.

      The power/light source comes from a small battery box at one end and an LED box; on the clothing pieces they have one set built into the waistbands (3 x AAA battery) but some of the runner pieces have one at each end. It would be good for really architectural garments (think stiff kimono) but tailoring into something like a corset would require too many individual light source & battery hookups unless you had the panels designed & wired custom before sewing. Panels are ~19" wide. You can cut them, but obviously the cut out pieces won't glow and anything on the opposite side of the cut from the light source goes dark. The sewing part looks easy, just use a denim weight needle & regular thread. The cut edges on the horizontal are like a bristle brush & can be bound (they roll the fabric underlayer over the edge to self-bind) or left out raw like a fringe. They are stiff & poke-y so you wouldn't want them too high on an underarm.

      The lights come in white, red, blue & green and are the pure LED colors you see in holiday lights. They said they weren't sure if the factory could install special the RGB led and a controller so you have the color range. That's not a regular product at this point. I expect if you have a tech guru around and a Radio Shack you could solve that.

      It's really interesting stuff, I'm going to order a piece to mess with.
      Stormchylde
    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
        Who is this person in my town I don't know about LOL, I am also in Vancouver
        WA ! I also need to check into this fabric

        Pat