Re: Decipher Numerical Pattern Sizes!

  • Silvester
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
      I found this via a Google search: http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/21481 <- you have to be registered to read the reviews, but it looks like this is a robe pattern that could double as a womens angel-wing dress. I would lean away from this as a man's costume except for the concept of wizard's robes...

      There is also this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/35587759/medieval-gothic-cloak-hood-cape-sewing

      I think this eBay listing clears up the sizing a bit more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterick-4050-Men-and-Womens-Wizard-Witch-Cape-pattern-XS-S-M-/160888899851

      The numbers you listed are standard US sizes and measurements that I'm pretty sure correspond to the XS-S-M and then L-XL ranges. If you're making for a man, ask him his t-shirt size.

      Silvester

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Wade MacMorrighan <Wade@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, I need some help. Here's the skinny... I've found a VERY reasonable website to buy the Butterick cloak pattern #4050! YAY!!! (Especially when most sites wanted quite a lot of money for them!) Anyway, this website asks me to choose between two sets of patterns and I have NO idea which set of number ranges to choose between, as these ranges don't seem to be listed anywhere on the pattern package itself (they have a scanned JPG of the pattern itself. The ranges are: 8/18 and 20/26. The only data through which one may hope to interpret these choices is:
      >

      > Choose Size Men or Miss
      >
      > Size: 8 10 12 14 16 18 Bust: 31.5 32 34 36 38 40 Waist: 24 25 26.5 28 30 32
      > Size: 20 22 24 26 Bust: 42 44 46 48 Waist 34 36 38 40 plus size
      >

      > PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

    • GCKidd
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
        It's actually fairly simple, once you understand the system, but before I got used to picking pattern sizes, I bought the wrong size on a few occasions. First off, remember that pattern size does not necessarily equate to clothing sizes (especially since designers can arbitrarily claim an outfit to be a certain size, when ten or twenty years ago, an outfit with those same measurements would have been sized differently (a size 0 versus a size 4, as an example).

        In the case of this specific pattern (and most pattern-makers tend to use the same scale throughout their product line, so this chart should, theoretically, hold true for the entire Butterick line), pattern size 8 produces an item that would fit an individual with a bust measurement of 31.5" and a waist of 24". Pattern size 16 would fit me (I'm a skinny guy)--bust size 38 and waist size 30.

        So, take your bust measurement and your waist measurement, and that will tell you what size pattern you need for yourself (if you're making it for someone else, naturally you want their measurements)...if your body proportions are such that your bust needs one pattern size and your waist needs another, you can either make the garment in the larger size and tailor down appropriately (generally not too difficult), or transition from one size to the other when cutting out the pattern (not difficult, if you know what you're doing).

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Wade MacMorrighan <Wade@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, I need some help. Here's the skinny... I've found a VERY reasonable website to buy the Butterick cloak pattern #4050! YAY!!!
        --message truncated for brevity's sake--