Source for Luminous Fabric

  • iom315
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
      Good morning all,

      Does anyone have a good source for Luminous Fabric?

      Thanks so much,
      D.L. Dixon
      Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.
    • catslave54
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
        Well, if you want fiber optics fabric that is a non-reflective material that transmits and emits light through fiber optic fibers connected to LED lights,then it's called Luminex. Their site is http://www.luminex.it/inglese/idea.php
        Their head office is based in Italy, but they have an international market headed by LumiGram in France. Their online store is http://www.lumigram.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1 and this site has several catalogues available to dowload. Bear in mind that if you are based in the US, you will need to consider extra shipping time when ordering. Yes, you may wash the garment gently by hand, provided you remove the battery box. Details on care are at http://www.lumigram.com/catalog/page5.php. Textiles are also available from Philips at http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/application_areas/luminous-textile/ but these appear to be mostly lighted fabric panels. All of this stuff can be controlled from an outside source, giving you the fun option of fabric that not only lights up, but changes with the music!
      • catslave54
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
          Now, if you want glow in the dark fabric, then you have several options.You may want to paint it with glow paint. Coolglow has several kinds http://coolglow.com/1/51/51/Glow-Paint/?gclid=CPTD18rlg7QCFWlxQgodj3cA7w. They have fabric glow paint, body glow paint and glitter glow paint in addition to the usual glow sticks, banners and other novelty items.
          You can also dust or dye the fabric with glow powder. There are several tutorials on the web like http://www.ehow.com/how_7769815_make-fabric-glow-dark.html OR http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/glow-in-the-dark-material.aspx You can machine wash the item in cold water afterwards, too.
          Or you can purchase ready-made glow in the dark fabric. There are several international suppliers at http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/glow-in-the-dark-fabric.html. They have cotton, satin and stretch fabrics.
        • redbrocade
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
            Thanks for posting this question. I didn't know it was commercially available yet and a little research led me to a local supplier (Vancouver WA) who I immediately made an appointment with. Impressive product! Here's their link:

            http://luminightusa.com/

            You made my day,
            Stormchylde

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
              Thought this might be helpful to more than just me so here are some notes on the luminex product

              The threads are similar to heavy gauge filament fishing wire, so they look and feel plasticy but can be disguised with an overlay (I tried organza). It's ribbed so the fabric itself is very flexible on the vertical where the fiber optics line up but the horizontal less so. Think of a bamboo placemat.Folding crushes the glass fiber so you get a light scar. I saw the skirt and where the model had sat on it there was the lit up equivalent of crunches you get with a crispy silk, but these are permanent. It can be folded easily if you go with the ribs. Their display skirt had pleats.

              The luminescence is like thousands of pinpoints of light, subtle in a lit room similar to a light sprinkle of glitter, but in the dark it has more of a ribbed effect. You can see this in their website photos. It's sold in panels mostly for use as table runners or wall panels and they back it with a cheap cottony type fabric, or the pillows have an acetate type satin. Waistbands are made of the same stuff. If you ask for just the fabric you get the opague sheets. It's lightweight, I'd try a midweight vinyl for garment mockups.

              The power/light source comes from a small battery box at one end and an LED box; on the clothing pieces they have one set built into the waistbands (3 x AAA battery) but some of the runner pieces have one at each end. It would be good for really architectural garments (think stiff kimono) but tailoring into something like a corset would require too many individual light source & battery hookups unless you had the panels designed & wired custom before sewing. Panels are ~19" wide. You can cut them, but obviously the cut out pieces won't glow and anything on the opposite side of the cut from the light source goes dark. The sewing part looks easy, just use a denim weight needle & regular thread. The cut edges on the horizontal are like a bristle brush & can be bound (they roll the fabric underlayer over the edge to self-bind) or left out raw like a fringe. They are stiff & poke-y so you wouldn't want them too high on an underarm.

              The lights come in white, red, blue & green and are the pure LED colors you see in holiday lights. They said they weren't sure if the factory could install special the RGB led and a controller so you have the color range. That's not a regular product at this point. I expect if you have a tech guru around and a Radio Shack you could solve that.

              It's really interesting stuff, I'm going to order a piece to mess with.
              Stormchylde
            • Pat Rohrbach
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
                Who is this person in my town I don't know about LOL, I am also in Vancouver
                WA ! I also need to check into this fabric

                Pat

                <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com> , "iom315" <IOM315@...>