Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] costume fittings I am sooo tired of cast members not saving time for fittings !

  • diana thompson
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 21, 2012
      A WAY I HAVE FOUND...again, you need support from director and higher
      ups....miss a fitting, one chance to reschedule within 2 days......miss it
      again...
      part goes to SOMEONE ELSE....
      perhaps this would help.
      diana thompson
      Blackthistle Designs

      On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM, PatR <pattyjo110@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > How do you get your cast and director to realize costume fittings are
      > necessary and something they need to make time for? How are they handled in
      > pro. theater ? The costume shop is not at the theater but another address
      > so they have to come here and they know that, at the beginning. I am not a
      > fan of them running in 15 min before they are called for rehearsal and
      > wanting to be fit for the 5 costumes they have. How do you all do it.

    • greg spooner
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2012
        Support from Director and SM are a great help.  If you wish to turn the knife more I have had occasion where a cast member was a total pain and this was an exception to the normal rule.  Pain not only to me may I add but director producer et al.  She was told to get herself to fitting or the costumed changed.  It would have kept her in character but also made her   look frumpy and slightly comic.  She was alas having a fit of the dramatic I Am.  Otherwise as has been suggested a schedule for fitting support from the SM.  Most folks I have found to be reasonable its the minority that think we wave a magic quick unpick  and a costume appears.

        A WAY I HAVE FOUND...again, you need support from director and higher
        ups....miss a fitting, one chance to reschedule within 2 days......miss it
        again...
        part goes to SOMEONE ELSE....
        perhaps this would help.
        diana thompson
        Blackthistle Designs

        On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM, PatR <pattyjo110@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > How do you get your cast and director to realize costume fittings are
        > necessary and something they need to make time for? How are they handled in
        > pro. theater ? The costume shop is not at the theater but another address
        > so they have to come here and they know that, at the beginning. I am not a
        > fan of them running in 15 min before they are called for rehearsal and
        > wanting to be fit for the 5 costumes they have. How do you all do it.

      • Pat Rohrbach
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2012
          Thank you all for your suggestions and stories I once had a director who
          told an actor if you don't want to wear the costume that is fine we will
          find someone that would love to with no problem, she stayed in the show.
          People who have been doing it for a time know better than to behave badly it
          is the younger kids that just don't get it sometime the same generation that
          doesn't know where their waist is LOL. I don't suffer fools I am afraid I
          set a date and time and place and that is it, they all show up. They may not
          like the time or the limits but they do show up. I work in a college and
          also for some local theaters. I don't charge the semi-professional theaters
          much and I have a lot of stock but they also know show up or go on stage in
          your own clothes I don't care either way ,I do not cater to anyone, without
          a good reason why I should. I was just having a problem with a new group
          in a startup theater but stuck to my guns and they came around. I don't need
          their money it is a favor to them and they know that.

          From: diana thompson <diana.thompson95@...
          <mailto:diana.thompson95%40gmail.com> >
          cast members not saving time for fittings !
          To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Wednesday, 21 November, 2012, 23:16