Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] costume fittings I am sooo tired of cast members not saving time for fittings !

  • Ed and/or Kathryn Belzer
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012
      I have worked in both pro and amateur theatre as well as film. I find that the stage manager is the best one to go to for bookings. You tell the SM how much time you need with whom and the director or costume designer comes as well to approve the final fittings. I was taught by a wonderful designer to take photos at the fitting. You will see things in calm perusal of these photos that you can't take in with all the fuss at a fitting. I saw a difference in shoulder height one time that had everything all wonky. I couldn't see it on the actor, but a grid over a photo made the whole matter clear as a bell.

      Film seems to be different because the costumes sometimes go out to location and we never even see the actor, The worst case I ever had of misinformation was a waist 8 inches larger than the measurements provided to me. Of course the garment didn't fit and there was a whirl of activity around that glitch in the shooting schedule!

      Kathryn

      On 2012-11-16, at 12:56 PM, PatR wrote:

      > How do you get your cast and director to realize costume fittings are necessary and something they need to make time for? How are they handled in pro. theatre ? The costume shop is not at the theatre but another address so they have to come here and they know that, at the beginning. I am not a fan of them running in 15 min before they are called for rehearsal and wanting to be fit for the 5 costumes they have. How do you all do it.

    • diana thompson
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2012
        A WAY I HAVE FOUND...again, you need support from director and higher
        ups....miss a fitting, one chance to reschedule within 2 days......miss it
        again...
        part goes to SOMEONE ELSE....
        perhaps this would help.
        diana thompson
        Blackthistle Designs

        On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM, PatR <pattyjo110@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > How do you get your cast and director to realize costume fittings are
        > necessary and something they need to make time for? How are they handled in
        > pro. theater ? The costume shop is not at the theater but another address
        > so they have to come here and they know that, at the beginning. I am not a
        > fan of them running in 15 min before they are called for rehearsal and
        > wanting to be fit for the 5 costumes they have. How do you all do it.

      • greg spooner
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2012
          Support from Director and SM are a great help.  If you wish to turn the knife more I have had occasion where a cast member was a total pain and this was an exception to the normal rule.  Pain not only to me may I add but director producer et al.  She was told to get herself to fitting or the costumed changed.  It would have kept her in character but also made her   look frumpy and slightly comic.  She was alas having a fit of the dramatic I Am.  Otherwise as has been suggested a schedule for fitting support from the SM.  Most folks I have found to be reasonable its the minority that think we wave a magic quick unpick  and a costume appears.

          A WAY I HAVE FOUND...again, you need support from director and higher
          ups....miss a fitting, one chance to reschedule within 2 days......miss it
          again...
          part goes to SOMEONE ELSE....
          perhaps this would help.
          diana thompson
          Blackthistle Designs

          On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM, PatR <pattyjo110@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > How do you get your cast and director to realize costume fittings are
          > necessary and something they need to make time for? How are they handled in
          > pro. theater ? The costume shop is not at the theater but another address
          > so they have to come here and they know that, at the beginning. I am not a
          > fan of them running in 15 min before they are called for rehearsal and
          > wanting to be fit for the 5 costumes they have. How do you all do it.

        • Pat Rohrbach
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2012
            Thank you all for your suggestions and stories I once had a director who
            told an actor if you don't want to wear the costume that is fine we will
            find someone that would love to with no problem, she stayed in the show.
            People who have been doing it for a time know better than to behave badly it
            is the younger kids that just don't get it sometime the same generation that
            doesn't know where their waist is LOL. I don't suffer fools I am afraid I
            set a date and time and place and that is it, they all show up. They may not
            like the time or the limits but they do show up. I work in a college and
            also for some local theaters. I don't charge the semi-professional theaters
            much and I have a lot of stock but they also know show up or go on stage in
            your own clothes I don't care either way ,I do not cater to anyone, without
            a good reason why I should. I was just having a problem with a new group
            in a startup theater but stuck to my guns and they came around. I don't need
            their money it is a favor to them and they know that.

            From: diana thompson <diana.thompson95@...
            <mailto:diana.thompson95%40gmail.com> >
            cast members not saving time for fittings !
            To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Wednesday, 21 November, 2012, 23:16