Wild west underwear

  • Kathryn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2012
      I have a question about cowboys' underwear. Would they have had anything different from urban men in the mid to late 1800's? And I am thinking that nightshirts would have been a raity on the range. Yes?
    • Claudia Hill
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2012
        Kathryn,

        As to underwear, cowboys (the ones who did the hard and dangerous work of  ranching) didn't wear any.  They slept on the ground in their clothes, except for their boots and hats, ready to leap out of their bedrolls and deal with any emergency.  They were known to be pretty ripe by the time the herd reached Dodge City or wherever, and usually their first stop when the cattle were sold and they were paid was the bath house.

        At the ranch, in the bunk house where they slept, conditions were not much better, and again, they slept on their bunks in their clothes and echewed unnecessary fripperies like underwear, except for winter, when they wore longjohns.  They had a rough and ready sense of humor and any cowhand who sported a nightshirt would have been the butt of constant jokes and derision.

        I knew many of these men; indeed, my grandfather had been one of them, trailing the huge herds of cattle between Texas and Kansas, and sometimes even the longer drives to the Indian agencies in Montana and other northern states, before he married my grandmother.  Knowing my grandmother, she put a stop to any unconventional habits before the ink was dry on the marriage license.  My grandfather settled down and went to work as a butcher.

        Claudia (named for the aforesaid grandfather, Claude.)

        ________________________________
        I have a question about cowboys' underwear. Would they have had anything different from urban men in the mid to late 1800's? And I am thinking that nightshirts would have been a raity on the range. Yes?

      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2012
          From what little research and background information I've gleaned through the years, I would say that your assumption is valid. Cowboys (TRUE cowboys, that were actually out riding the range and escorting cattle) wouldn't take the space in their saddlebags for a luxury item like a nightshirt.

          I'm not certain how universal 'long johns' were, but those are the only underwear I've seen or heard mention of in relationship to cowboys. Granted, as I mentioned above, my research on the subject has been pretty minimal, and it had almost no focus whatsoever on nightwear (or even underwear, for that matter)...I was working with some re-enactors, but they weren't the 'focused on the gritty realities' variety. If it looked right on the surface, that was good enough for them...

        • susabela@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2012
            And that is why I love this group—enjoyed your response very much, Claudia!

          • Ed and/or Kathryn Belzer
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2012
              That settles the question for me! Thank you very much. This is a useful group, indeed.

            • mmrcostume@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
                Thank you for the insight and the background story. Information along with factual personal stories always add to the item or ideas. Thanks to claude and his com padres on their hard work and drive open up the west and supply others with beef etc
                Michele
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
                  Susabela,

                  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

                  Claudia

                  And that is why I love this group—enjoyed your response very much, Claudia!