16th/17th century gown patterns

  • screwy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2012
      Hi, I know this is a bit cheeky but does anyone have any patterns for a 16 Th/17 Th century gown that I could print out for my mum please?
      She used to make 16 Th/17 Th century costumes years ago when we were with the ECWS but that was a lifetime ago,now my brother's fiancée wants a period gown as her wedding dress and wants mum to make it but mum has no patterns these days,i would be very greatful if you could help.
      Thanks alot and all the best,
      Jo
    • design@naomilazarus.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2012
        I don't know of any online, but if you can find "Patterns of Fashion" by Janet Arnold, she's got one 1560-1620, and a 1660-1860. They're excellent and have patterns and details on construction.

        Naomi Lazarus

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2012
          There are a number of historical pattern makers some of which make 16 Th/17
          Th century patterns. Even the "big three" make patterns that might be a
          starting point.

          You might want to poke around in the Great Pattern Review to look for
          possibilities and people's success with them

          http://www.gbacg.org/great-pattern-review/index.html

          On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM, screwy <chinagrl@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi, I know this is a bit cheeky but does anyone have any patterns for a 16
          > Th/17 Th century gown that I could print out for my mum please?
          > She used to make 16 Th/17 Th century costumes years ago when we were with
          > the ECWS but that was a lifetime ago,now my brother's fiancée wants a
          > period gown as her wedding dress and wants mum to make it but mum has no
          > patterns these days,i would be very greatful if you could help.
          > Thanks alot and all the best,
          > Jo

        • Silvester
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
            I would like to "second" this recomendation!!

            I managed to get a copy via inter-library loan a few years ago and it was AMAZING!! Photos of actual garments, patterns drafted from the originals whenever possible, detailed descriptions of materials, decorations, assembly, etc...

            Hard are all heck to find a copy for sale, but depending on your library system, not impossible to find!

            Silvester