Re: Tin Man

  • Sandra
    Message 1 of 27 , May 15, 2012
      I posted some photos of our Oz costumes in the album Sandra's Costumes. We ended up using ironing board cover fabric over fosshape pieces. The actor's parents took it on as I was doing all the other costumes. It turned out really well. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. We are amateurs and every play is a challenge. I have learned so much from this group.
      Sandra
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, retshopbuyer@... wrote:

      > the older the kid the stiffer you could make the costume-
      >
      > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Sandra wrote:
      >
      > I am a longtime lurker but this is my first time posting. I am a
      > fairly competent home sewer masquerading as a costumer for a local
      > children's theater. They are very happy to have a volunteer and I
      > intend to do my best for them. They are about to begin rehearsals for
      > the Wizard of Oz. I think I can handle all of the costume requirements
      > except the Tin Man. What on earth can I use to construct a costume that
      > looks like tin, has some decent stiffness and good color, and doesn't
      > outweigh the child wearing it. Is there a pattern out there that
      > doesn't look like a spacesuit? I've searched the internet for tutorials
      > but no luck. I realize this may involve more than sewing but I am up
      > for trying new things. Although our budget is very small, I do want it
      > to look as professional as possible - no silver jumpsuits!
      >
      > Thanks for any help,
      > Sandra
      >
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

    • Thermoman
      Message 2 of 27 , May 20, 2012
        Glad to see the use of FOSSHAPE helped out in that Tin Man construction.
        Brian Jeffrey
        www.fosshape.com

        Message 3 of 27 , May 20, 2012
          I recently made some police badges out of scraps of Fosshape and my household steam iron. While they were very easy to shape and harden, the felt-like surface didn't look like metal. I smoothed out the surface by painting on some Sculpt or Coat and sanding it smooth after it dried. I was really happy with the result. They were very sturdy but light as a feather.
          Sandra