Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] "Anything Goes" sailor costumes

  • Valancy Gilliam
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2012
      You might just do a search for vintage patterns, if you haven't already.
      You'd have to modify for modern sizing but you might get lucky on Etsy or
      Ebay. Search Craigs List to see if there's anyone selling anything like
      that or an estate sale. You might be able to find one to deconstruct (I
      know, vintage clothing collectors, that's evil) to make a pattern from as
      well.

      I can't find it at the moment, but American Duchess had a blog post where
      she was trying to figure out how to make the 1940s style pants. There are
      photos in this post. You might contact her for some tips?

      http://americanduchess.blogspot.com/search?q=1940

    • FionnaO
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2012
        Could you use white v neck scrubs as base and add collar and tie?

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "costumer122" <ecomaas@...> wrote:

        > HI all,
        > I'm costuming "Anything Goes" and I am having a hard time finding white sailor middy uniforms.<snip>
        >
        > Thank you!
        > Patty Halajian
        > freelance costumer, stitcher and wardrobe
        > Chicago

      • Kathy Hoover
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18, 2012
          At 02:39 PM 5/18/2012, you wrote:

          >ALOHA: I was involved in this show back in 2000, and as I recall,
          >there are not actual US Navy sailors on the ship. There are the
          >crew members of the ship who are sailors, but not military sailors.

          If that's the case, that they're in the Merchant Marine, maybe you
          should think Popeye. If you've seen any of the really old Popeye
          cartoons from the 30's, Popeye and Bluto wore white bell bottoms and
          navy blue button-front tops with rolled up sleeves (and Popeye had a
          white collar trimmed with red). They wore white oBut the other guys
          on board ship with them
          http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3p5if_popeye-the-sailor_news