"Anything Goes" sailor costumes

  • costumer122
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2012
      HI all,
      I'm costuming "Anything Goes" and I am having a hard time finding white sailor middy uniforms. I want to buy them from an Army/Navy surplus store, but I am having a hard time locating a surplus store that isn't aimed at survivalists or knife collectors!
      I also don't want cheap premade costumes from an on-line costume store.

      Does anyone have a source for these real sailor uniforms?

      Thank you!
      Patty Halajian
      freelance costumer, stitcher and wardrobe
      Chicago
    • SueH71
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2012
        Try Dennis Uniforms, for school uniforms. There is a school in Palo Alto that uses a sailor style uniform top that get their uniforms from there.
        Sue Howell
        Master Stitcher
        Ballet San Jose

        ----------
        This AOL Mail was sent from AT&T's Wireless network using Mobile Email

        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2012
          I had the same problem a few years ago you will either need to rent or build
          some and I had to design a pattern since I could not find one anyplace ?? I
          thought it would be easy to find but it was not.

          Good luck

          Patty

          An old friend will help you move.

          A good friend will help you move a dead body

          Jim Hayes

          I'm costuming "Anything Goes" and I am having a hard time finding white
          sailor middy uniforms. I want to buy them from an Army/Navy surplus store,
          but I am having a hard time locating a surplus store that isn't aimed at
          survivalists or knife collectors!
          I also don't want cheap premade costumes from an on-line costume store.

          Does anyone have a source for these real sailor uniforms?

          Thank you!
          Patty Halajian
          freelance costumer, stitcher and wardrobe
          Chicago

        • Paula McWhirter-Buck
          Message 4 of 12 , May 17, 2012
            you might give these folks a shot
            http://www.vintagetrends.com/Military/thumbnails.asp?MC=Military+Vintage&CA=Men&SC=Shirts&ST=Middy+top&SS=&Page=2&

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , May 17, 2012
              or these
              http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/servlet/Detail?no=6963

              http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=51362

              http://usarmystyle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=456

              ________________________________

            • design@naomilazarus.com
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2012
                In my experience, you won't find middy costumes at a surplus store, because they haven't been used as actual uniforms for 60 years. Your best bet is a musical theatre company, or Gilbert and Sullivan Society. Theatre companies often rent to each other for far less than costume rental houses, or than it would cost to buy or build.

                Naomi Lazarus
                www.naomilazarus.com

                Message 7 of 12 , May 18, 2012
                  ALOHA: I was involved in this show back in 2000, and as I recall, there are not actual US Navy sailors on the ship. There are the crew members of the ship who are sailors, but not military sailors. We had the Captain of the ship in a double-breasted navy blue jacket with gold buttons and a officer looking hat (he had a beard too, looked good and aged the high school ages character...think the Captain in the Titanic movie). The crew/sailors I don't remember as well, but I know they hat round white hats with a red pom-pom on top, so they looked kind of British. Take a look at Titanic, which took place only 10 years or so before the time of Anything Goes, i am guessing. What did the crew wear in that movie? I think putting the actors in Navy uniform whites with the long, squared off-collar might not be the way to go. Good luck. Poppy on Kauai

                  To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                  From: design@...
                  Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 19:52:10 +0000

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 18, 2012
                    You might just do a search for vintage patterns, if you haven't already.
                    You'd have to modify for modern sizing but you might get lucky on Etsy or
                    Ebay. Search Craigs List to see if there's anyone selling anything like
                    that or an estate sale. You might be able to find one to deconstruct (I
                    know, vintage clothing collectors, that's evil) to make a pattern from as
                    well.

                    I can't find it at the moment, but American Duchess had a blog post where
                    she was trying to figure out how to make the 1940s style pants. There are
                    photos in this post. You might contact her for some tips?

                    http://americanduchess.blogspot.com/search?q=1940

                  • FionnaO
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 18, 2012
                      Could you use white v neck scrubs as base and add collar and tie?

                    • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 18, 2012
                        check out Lighthouse Military Uniforms in Seattle Washington -

                        On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM, costumer122 wrote:

                        HI all,
                        I'm costuming "Anything Goes" and I am having a hard time finding white
                        sailor middy uniforms. I want to buy them from an Army/Navy surplus
                        store, but I am having a hard time locating a surplus store that isn't
                        aimed at survivalists or knife collectors!
                        I also don't want cheap premade costumes from an on-line costume store.

                        Does anyone have a source for these real sailor uniforms?

                        Thank you!
                        Patty Halajian
                        freelance costumer, stitcher and wardrobe
                        Chicago

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                      • GCKidd
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 18, 2012
                          Actually, they still use middy uniforms...but only for dress occasions. The regular duty uniforms are more like the dungarees (I don't think they're still that same pattern, but they've got that look). However, since the midshipman's uniform of old is only used as a dress uniform now, there are nowhere near as many of them made, so you don't see anywhere near as many in the surplus stores (when someone gets out of the Navy, instead of having a dozen or so middies to get rid of, they typically have two...whites for summer and blues for winter...maybe four, if they served somewhere that used the heavier weight uniforms in the wintertime and the cottons in the summer). And since dress uniforms have all the service decorations earned, they're usually kept as mementos.

                          I agree with suggestions to either see if you can find them for rent, or look for a similar style of uniform used for a different purpose (like the school uniforms). You might also get lucky with the surplus stores and find a place that has purchased a bunch of uniforms from a foreign military that happen to look pretty close to the USN uniform...but other than that, I think you're going to be looking at a hit-and-miss process, when it comes to finding the real thing. I found a few on eBay a few years ago...but you can never be certain that there will be a good supply there.

                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, design@... wrote:

                          > In my experience, you won't find middy costumes at a surplus store, because they haven't been used as actual uniforms for 60 years. Your best bet is a musical theatre company, or Gilbert and Sullivan Society. Theatre companies often rent to each other for far less than costume rental houses, or than it would cost to buy or build.
                          >
                          > Naomi Lazarus
                          > www.naomilazarus.com
                          > Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

                        • Kathy Hoover
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 18, 2012
                            At 02:39 PM 5/18/2012, you wrote:

                            >ALOHA: I was involved in this show back in 2000, and as I recall,
                            >there are not actual US Navy sailors on the ship. There are the
                            >crew members of the ship who are sailors, but not military sailors.

                            If that's the case, that they're in the Merchant Marine, maybe you
                            should think Popeye. If you've seen any of the really old Popeye
                            cartoons from the 30's, Popeye and Bluto wore white bell bottoms and
                            navy blue button-front tops with rolled up sleeves (and Popeye had a
                            white collar trimmed with red). They wore white oBut the other guys
                            on board ship with them
                            http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3p5if_popeye-the-sailor_news