Re: Tin Man

  • Aliece
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
      Hi all,

      I love to read all of your
      post.
      Has anyone thought of a drapery supplier?
      They have all kinds of buckram.
      From 2 in. to 40 in. wide. There is even
      a 6 in. translucent woven buckram.
      I have a Rowley Company catalog and
      it has lots of fun stuff in it.
      www.RowleyCompany.com

      Aliece
    • retshopbuyer@charter.net
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
        what age are the kids?
        comfort is very important with small kids-
        i would use headliner covered with the ironing board fabric-
        you could use tubing held in place with split rings at the bottom to
        keep it in round-
        anything too stiff with a young kid might not work so well-
        the older the kid the stiffer you could make the costume-

        there was an oz pattern around at one time tho really is a pretty simple
        shape

        On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Sandra wrote:

        I am a longtime lurker but this is my first time posting. I am a
        fairly competent home sewer masquerading as a costumer for a local
        children's theater. They are very happy to have a volunteer and I
        intend to do my best for them. They are about to begin rehearsals for
        the Wizard of Oz. I think I can handle all of the costume requirements
        except the Tin Man. What on earth can I use to construct a costume that
        looks like tin, has some decent stiffness and good color, and doesn't
        outweigh the child wearing it. Is there a pattern out there that
        doesn't look like a spacesuit? I've searched the internet for tutorials
        but no luck. I realize this may involve more than sewing but I am up
        for trying new things. Although our budget is very small, I do want it
        to look as professional as possible - no silver jumpsuits!

        Thanks for any help,
        Sandra

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

      • Sandra
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
          The costume will be worn by a young teen. I have some 1/2 " foam that I could cover with some ironing board fabric or some dull silver fabric backed PVC. Would an upholsterer's spray adhesive work to bond the foam to the fabric?

        • design@naomilazarus.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 25, 2012
            It should work, but you may want to sew a seam at top and bottom to make it secure. Then get some silver brads from a craft or stationary store, and put them over the seam like rivets to distract the eye. Michael's (a big craft chain) even carries brads that have screw heads on them. :)

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 25, 2012
              I'll check them out, thanks!

              I just find this sudden global shortage odd... What happened??

              Message 6 of 27 , May 14, 2012
                I know this is probably a late addition to the party but I made a Tin Man costume out of stainless steel colored poster board and it last for two weeks with only minor issues. But like I said this is probably way over being finished but if anyone wants to know how it was done I'd be happy to share it with them!
              • Sandra
                Message 7 of 27 , May 15, 2012
                  I posted some photos of our Oz costumes in the album Sandra's Costumes. We ended up using ironing board cover fabric over fosshape pieces. The actor's parents took it on as I was doing all the other costumes. It turned out really well. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. We are amateurs and every play is a challenge. I have learned so much from this group.
                  Sandra

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 15, 2012
                    Good grief! I think I sent a personal reply to the entire group. If I did I'm so sorry.

                    I posted photos of our Oz costumes in "sandra's costumes". We used ironing board cover fabric over Fosshape. It looked great! The group's help and advice was so much appreciated.

                    --- In The CostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "zombiekat18" <zombiekat18@...> wrote:

                    > I know this is probably a late addition to the party but I made a Tin Man costume out of stainless steel colored poster board and it last for two weeks with only minor issues. But like I said this is probably way over being finished but if anyone wants to know how it was done I'd be happy to share it with them!

                  • Thermoman
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 20, 2012
                      Glad to see the use of FOSSHAPE helped out in that Tin Man construction.
                      Brian Jeffrey
                      www.fosshape.com

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 20, 2012
                        I recently made some police badges out of scraps of Fosshape and my household steam iron. While they were very easy to shape and harden, the felt-like surface didn't look like metal. I smoothed out the surface by painting on some Sculpt or Coat and sanding it smooth after it dried. I was really happy with the result. They were very sturdy but light as a feather.
                        Sandra