Re: Tin Man

  • Sandra
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 23 2:09 PM
      I have purchased buckram on eBay. I don't know if the price is good but it wasn't available locally so...

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, design@... wrote:

      > Well, I wouldn't make a tin man costume out of buckram, but it's handy for hats. I'll start sourcing a supplier. I wonder why it's suddenly become so rare...
      >
      > Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

    • Aliece
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 24 7:04 AM
        Hi all,

        I love to read all of your
        post.
        Has anyone thought of a drapery supplier?
        They have all kinds of buckram.
        From 2 in. to 40 in. wide. There is even
        a 6 in. translucent woven buckram.
        I have a Rowley Company catalog and
        it has lots of fun stuff in it.
        www.RowleyCompany.com

        Aliece
      • retshopbuyer@charter.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 24 6:52 PM
          what age are the kids?
          comfort is very important with small kids-
          i would use headliner covered with the ironing board fabric-
          you could use tubing held in place with split rings at the bottom to
          keep it in round-
          anything too stiff with a young kid might not work so well-
          the older the kid the stiffer you could make the costume-

          there was an oz pattern around at one time tho really is a pretty simple
          shape

          On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Sandra wrote:

          I am a longtime lurker but this is my first time posting. I am a
          fairly competent home sewer masquerading as a costumer for a local
          children's theater. They are very happy to have a volunteer and I
          intend to do my best for them. They are about to begin rehearsals for
          the Wizard of Oz. I think I can handle all of the costume requirements
          except the Tin Man. What on earth can I use to construct a costume that
          looks like tin, has some decent stiffness and good color, and doesn't
          outweigh the child wearing it. Is there a pattern out there that
          doesn't look like a spacesuit? I've searched the internet for tutorials
          but no luck. I realize this may involve more than sewing but I am up
          for trying new things. Although our budget is very small, I do want it
          to look as professional as possible - no silver jumpsuits!

          Thanks for any help,
          Sandra

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

        • Sandra
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 24 10:41 PM
            The costume will be worn by a young teen. I have some 1/2 " foam that I could cover with some ironing board fabric or some dull silver fabric backed PVC. Would an upholsterer's spray adhesive work to bond the foam to the fabric?

          • design@naomilazarus.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 25 9:02 PM
              It should work, but you may want to sew a seam at top and bottom to make it secure. Then get some silver brads from a craft or stationary store, and put them over the seam like rivets to distract the eye. Michael's (a big craft chain) even carries brads that have screw heads on them. :)

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 25 9:03 PM
                I'll check them out, thanks!

                I just find this sudden global shortage odd... What happened??

                Message 7 of 27 , May 14, 2012
                  I know this is probably a late addition to the party but I made a Tin Man costume out of stainless steel colored poster board and it last for two weeks with only minor issues. But like I said this is probably way over being finished but if anyone wants to know how it was done I'd be happy to share it with them!
                • Sandra
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 15, 2012
                    I posted some photos of our Oz costumes in the album Sandra's Costumes. We ended up using ironing board cover fabric over fosshape pieces. The actor's parents took it on as I was doing all the other costumes. It turned out really well. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. We are amateurs and every play is a challenge. I have learned so much from this group.
                    Sandra

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 15, 2012
                      Good grief! I think I sent a personal reply to the entire group. If I did I'm so sorry.

                      I posted photos of our Oz costumes in "sandra's costumes". We used ironing board cover fabric over Fosshape. It looked great! The group's help and advice was so much appreciated.

                      --- In The CostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "zombiekat18" <zombiekat18@...> wrote:

                      > I know this is probably a late addition to the party but I made a Tin Man costume out of stainless steel colored poster board and it last for two weeks with only minor issues. But like I said this is probably way over being finished but if anyone wants to know how it was done I'd be happy to share it with them!

                    • Thermoman
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 20, 2012
                        Glad to see the use of FOSSHAPE helped out in that Tin Man construction.
                        Brian Jeffrey
                        www.fosshape.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 20, 2012
                          I recently made some police badges out of scraps of Fosshape and my household steam iron. While they were very easy to shape and harden, the felt-like surface didn't look like metal. I smoothed out the surface by painting on some Sculpt or Coat and sanding it smooth after it dried. I was really happy with the result. They were very sturdy but light as a feather.
                          Sandra