Re: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tin Man

  • Claudia Hill
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 22, 2012
      Evidently a lot of people are using plastic canvas instead of buckram, the very fine grid size, 12 lines of plastic per inch, the same stuff that is needlepointed over when a very stiff finished product is wanted.  I have some I ordered after finding out that buckram was no longer available.  I don't know how well it works as I haven't made anything with it yet.

      Claudia

      ________________________________
      From: judycat5@...
      Sender: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:52:52
      To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>

      The original in the movie was made of buckram covered in fabric and then I think it was painted with a matte silver paint. Since buckram isn't as available these days you might try a heavy interfacing.

      Judy
      judycat5@...

      On 02/20/12, Michelle Davidson<adastra33@...> wrote:

      Have you considered foam covered with silver fabric? You can get sheets of foam at a fabric/craft store. It is very light and won't hurt the actor.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
        On 2/22/2012 10:30 PM, Claudia Hill wrote:
        > Evidently a lot of people are using plastic canvas instead of buckram,
        > the very fine grid size, 12 lines of plastic per inch, the same stuff
        > that is needlepointed over when a very stiff finished product is wanted.
        If you use it for the body case, be sure to heavily wrap the edges,
        especially under the arm. Even carefully cut, those plastic points can
        jab. Then again, you could make a padded fold over bias of you "tin"
        fabric and make it a feature of the design on all edges.
        > I have some I ordered after finding out that buckram was no longer
        > available. I don't know how well it works as I haven't made anything
        > with it yet.
        You just have to go to specialty places for buckram now. It won't work
        as well as plastic canvas, foam, or wonderflex. Sweat breaks up the
        starch in the buckram and the costume would sog.

        -Cat-
      • Thermoman
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
          Buckram does not hold up well when it gets wet from sweat etc.....Disney theme park costumers have pretty much all switched to Fosshape. Wonderflex is a solid thermoplastic sheet, so expect that might be rather hot for the Tin Man. Fosshape is light in weight and breathable plus sewable, paintable, dyeable etc. Not sure about how the heat activated FS surface would be for proper Tin Man look, so might require an appropriate silver fabric covering.

        • design@naomilazarus.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
            Well, I wouldn't make a tin man costume out of buckram, but it's handy for hats. I'll start sourcing a supplier. I wonder why it's suddenly become so rare...

            On 2/22/2012 10:30 PM, Claudia Hill wrote:
            > Evidently a lot of people are using plastic canvas instead of buckram,
            > the very fine grid size, 12 lines of plastic per inch, the same stuff
            > that is needlepointed over when a very stiff finished product is wanted.
            If you use it for the body case, be sure to heavily wrap the edges,
            especially under the arm. Even carefully cut, those plastic points can
            jab. Then again, you could make a padded fold over bias of you "tin"
            fabric and make it a feature of the design on all edges.
            > I have some I ordered after finding out that buckram was no longer
            > available. I don't know how well it works as I haven't made anything
            > with it yet.
            You just have to go to specialty places for buckram now. It won't work
            as well as plastic canvas, foam, or wonderflex. Sweat breaks up the
            starch in the buckram and the costume would sog.

            -Cat-

          • Sandra
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
              I have purchased buckram on eBay. I don't know if the price is good but it wasn't available locally so...

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, design@... wrote:

              > Well, I wouldn't make a tin man costume out of buckram, but it's handy for hats. I'll start sourcing a supplier. I wonder why it's suddenly become so rare...
              >
              > Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

            • Aliece
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
                Hi all,

                I love to read all of your
                post.
                Has anyone thought of a drapery supplier?
                They have all kinds of buckram.
                From 2 in. to 40 in. wide. There is even
                a 6 in. translucent woven buckram.
                I have a Rowley Company catalog and
                it has lots of fun stuff in it.
                www.RowleyCompany.com

                Aliece
              • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
                  what age are the kids?
                  comfort is very important with small kids-
                  i would use headliner covered with the ironing board fabric-
                  you could use tubing held in place with split rings at the bottom to
                  keep it in round-
                  anything too stiff with a young kid might not work so well-
                  the older the kid the stiffer you could make the costume-

                  there was an oz pattern around at one time tho really is a pretty simple
                  shape

                  On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Sandra wrote:

[...]

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                • Sandra
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
                    The costume will be worn by a young teen. I have some 1/2 " foam that I could cover with some ironing board fabric or some dull silver fabric backed PVC. Would an upholsterer's spray adhesive work to bond the foam to the fabric?

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 25, 2012
                      It should work, but you may want to sew a seam at top and bottom to make it secure. Then get some silver brads from a craft or stationary store, and put them over the seam like rivets to distract the eye. Michael's (a big craft chain) even carries brads that have screw heads on them. :)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 25, 2012
                        I'll check them out, thanks!

                        I just find this sudden global shortage odd... What happened??

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 14, 2012
                          I know this is probably a late addition to the party but I made a Tin Man costume out of stainless steel colored poster board and it last for two weeks with only minor issues. But like I said this is probably way over being finished but if anyone wants to know how it was done I'd be happy to share it with them!
                        • Sandra
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 15, 2012
                            I posted some photos of our Oz costumes in the album Sandra's Costumes. We ended up using ironing board cover fabric over fosshape pieces. The actor's parents took it on as I was doing all the other costumes. It turned out really well. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. We are amateurs and every play is a challenge. I have learned so much from this group.
                            Sandra

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 15, 2012
                              Good grief! I think I sent a personal reply to the entire group. If I did I'm so sorry.

                              I posted photos of our Oz costumes in "sandra's costumes". We used ironing board cover fabric over Fosshape. It looked great! The group's help and advice was so much appreciated.

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 20, 2012
                                Glad to see the use of FOSSHAPE helped out in that Tin Man construction.
                                Brian Jeffrey
                                www.fosshape.com

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 20, 2012
                                  I recently made some police badges out of scraps of Fosshape and my household steam iron. While they were very easy to shape and harden, the felt-like surface didn't look like metal. I smoothed out the surface by painting on some Sculpt or Coat and sanding it smooth after it dried. I was really happy with the result. They were very sturdy but light as a feather.
                                  Sandra