Rocky Horror Costumes

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2001
      Allo all!

      ok, any RHPS fans here?? I make costumes for fun
      (damned expensive hobby) and am slowly working on making
      reproductions of the costumes from the movie Rocky Horror
      Picture Show. So far I've got Timewarp Columbia, basic
      Magenta, and something close to Frank that is nearing
      accuracy.
      Well, just the other day, I found a corset that is
      almost perfect for the floorshow. Laces in the front with
      about 30 eyelets, PERFECT shape, hooks and eyes in the back
      for easy on-and-off, good strong boning, and fits like a
      charm . . . except that it's made out of shiny snakeskin
      print fabric! I was thinking of taking it apart and
      copying it onto a better fabric, but it fits so well (I am
      rather busty and hard-put to find clothes/patterns that fit
      right) that I am afraid to attempt it. So it appears my
      options are to either dye it or cover it with black fabric.
      I don't know how well the shiny fabric would take dye,
      and it might be hard to cover it due to the shape. Does
      anyone have any suggestions at all?? Thanks!

      -Jessie

      =====
      - - - - - - - - - -

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • ravergyrrl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2001
        Hi Jessie-
        I don't have any suggestions for you as far as the fabric (sorry). But I am a
        huge fan of the RHPS and I'd luv to see pictures of the costumes when you are
        finished. Are you making these for anything special or just for fun? How
        neat. Well good luck finishing.
        Peace, Love and Let's Do The Timewarp Again-
        Hannah
      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2001
          > Hi Jessie-
          > I don't have any suggestions for you as far as the fabric
          > (sorry). But I am a
          > huge fan of the RHPS and I'd luv to see pictures of the
          > costumes when you are
          > finished. Are you making these for anything special or
          > just for fun? How
          > neat. Well good luck finishing.
          > Peace, Love and Let's Do The Timewarp Again-
          > Hannah

          I made the first few because some friends and I were going
          to see a nearby production, and we wanted to go in costume.
          I threw them together in about 2 weeks time, and since
          then have been working to rennovate them and make them
          slightly better quality. A total revamping. Columbia's
          for example: I glued glitter on the bustier because I
          couldn't find sequinsed fabric in the right colors and
          didn't have time to work with individual sequins. The
          tailcoat was made out of that gold-foil sequinsed fabric,
          and god help me, I will NEVER use that stuff again!!! The
          little foil dots are glued onto the fabric and the glue
          gummed up my needle and made my thread break every few
          inches...it was a nightmare! The whole costume looked
          great from a distance, but close up you could see all the
          little shortcuts I took.

          -Jessie

          =====

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/