Re: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tin Man

  • design@naomilazarus.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 20, 2012
      Yeah, what happened to buckram?? It's vanished off the shelves! So weird...

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 21, 2012
        I too, am a costumer for our local childrens theater and 4H club. Have you looked at simplicity pattern #7814 (kids) 7820 (adults)? Done in the right fabric it looks pretty good. I've used it several times. The teflon sounds great!

        KC

[...]

      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 21, 2012
          Another option you might consider is headliner foam. It's got fabric on one side, so you can stitch it on a regular sewing machine without fear of the thread ripping through the foam, it's very lightweight so the costume shouldn't be anywhere close to too heavy (although it would likely end up being a bit warm...but putting the child in a t-short and shorts inside of the costume can help with that), and you can easily flat-line the pieces with a silver fabric to get that metallic finish. I'd use the fabric side toward the skin and line the foam side with your finish fabric.

          I used this stuff to do a Scarecrow (from Batman, not Wizard of Oz) mask, and the guy I made it for loved it.

          <SNIP>
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 21, 2012
            I haven't used Wonderflex, but I have used Fosshape, and I found it retained its felt-like surface texture, even after I ironed it, which makes it look unmetallic. Would steaming give it a smoother surface?

            Naomi Lazarus
            BCos Custom Cosplay Creations

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 21, 2012
              Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. Special thanks for the referral to the homemade costume website - wow! I've got so many good ideas now and am finally excited about the project. This group is a great resource for someone like me.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@..., "Sandra" <san2961@...> wrote:

              I think I can handle all of the costume requirements except the Tin Man.

              > Thanks for any help,
              > Sandra

            • Claudia Hill
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 22, 2012
                Evidently a lot of people are using plastic canvas instead of buckram, the very fine grid size, 12 lines of plastic per inch, the same stuff that is needlepointed over when a very stiff finished product is wanted.  I have some I ordered after finding out that buckram was no longer available.  I don't know how well it works as I haven't made anything with it yet.

                Claudia

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
                  On 2/22/2012 10:30 PM, Claudia Hill wrote:
                  > Evidently a lot of people are using plastic canvas instead of buckram,
                  > the very fine grid size, 12 lines of plastic per inch, the same stuff
                  > that is needlepointed over when a very stiff finished product is wanted.
                  If you use it for the body case, be sure to heavily wrap the edges,
                  especially under the arm. Even carefully cut, those plastic points can
                  jab. Then again, you could make a padded fold over bias of you "tin"
                  fabric and make it a feature of the design on all edges.
                  > I have some I ordered after finding out that buckram was no longer
                  > available. I don't know how well it works as I haven't made anything
                  > with it yet.
                  You just have to go to specialty places for buckram now. It won't work
                  as well as plastic canvas, foam, or wonderflex. Sweat breaks up the
                  starch in the buckram and the costume would sog.

                  -Cat-
                • Thermoman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
                    Buckram does not hold up well when it gets wet from sweat etc.....Disney theme park costumers have pretty much all switched to Fosshape. Wonderflex is a solid thermoplastic sheet, so expect that might be rather hot for the Tin Man. Fosshape is light in weight and breathable plus sewable, paintable, dyeable etc. Not sure about how the heat activated FS surface would be for proper Tin Man look, so might require an appropriate silver fabric covering.

                  • design@naomilazarus.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
                      Well, I wouldn't make a tin man costume out of buckram, but it's handy for hats. I'll start sourcing a supplier. I wonder why it's suddenly become so rare...

                      On 2/22/2012 10:30 PM, Claudia Hill wrote:
                      > Evidently a lot of people are using plastic canvas instead of buckram,
                      > the very fine grid size, 12 lines of plastic per inch, the same stuff
                      > that is needlepointed over when a very stiff finished product is wanted.
                      If you use it for the body case, be sure to heavily wrap the edges,
                      especially under the arm. Even carefully cut, those plastic points can
                      jab. Then again, you could make a padded fold over bias of you "tin"
                      fabric and make it a feature of the design on all edges.
                      > I have some I ordered after finding out that buckram was no longer
                      > available. I don't know how well it works as I haven't made anything
                      > with it yet.
                      You just have to go to specialty places for buckram now. It won't work
                      as well as plastic canvas, foam, or wonderflex. Sweat breaks up the
                      starch in the buckram and the costume would sog.

                      -Cat-

                    • Sandra
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 23, 2012
                        I have purchased buckram on eBay. I don't know if the price is good but it wasn't available locally so...

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, design@... wrote:

                        > Well, I wouldn't make a tin man costume out of buckram, but it's handy for hats. I'll start sourcing a supplier. I wonder why it's suddenly become so rare...
                        >
                        > Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

                      • Aliece
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
                          Hi all,

                          I love to read all of your
                          post.
                          Has anyone thought of a drapery supplier?
                          They have all kinds of buckram.
                          From 2 in. to 40 in. wide. There is even
                          a 6 in. translucent woven buckram.
                          I have a Rowley Company catalog and
                          it has lots of fun stuff in it.
                          www.RowleyCompany.com

                          Aliece
                        • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
                            what age are the kids?
                            comfort is very important with small kids-
                            i would use headliner covered with the ironing board fabric-
                            you could use tubing held in place with split rings at the bottom to
                            keep it in round-
                            anything too stiff with a young kid might not work so well-
                            the older the kid the stiffer you could make the costume-

                            there was an oz pattern around at one time tho really is a pretty simple
                            shape

                            On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Sandra wrote:

[...]

                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                          • Sandra
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 24, 2012
                              The costume will be worn by a young teen. I have some 1/2 " foam that I could cover with some ironing board fabric or some dull silver fabric backed PVC. Would an upholsterer's spray adhesive work to bond the foam to the fabric?

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 25, 2012
                                It should work, but you may want to sew a seam at top and bottom to make it secure. Then get some silver brads from a craft or stationary store, and put them over the seam like rivets to distract the eye. Michael's (a big craft chain) even carries brads that have screw heads on them. :)

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 25, 2012
                                  I'll check them out, thanks!

                                  I just find this sudden global shortage odd... What happened??

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 14 10:51 AM
                                    I know this is probably a late addition to the party but I made a Tin Man costume out of stainless steel colored poster board and it last for two weeks with only minor issues. But like I said this is probably way over being finished but if anyone wants to know how it was done I'd be happy to share it with them!
                                  • Sandra
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 15 6:20 AM
                                      I posted some photos of our Oz costumes in the album Sandra's Costumes. We ended up using ironing board cover fabric over fosshape pieces. The actor's parents took it on as I was doing all the other costumes. It turned out really well. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. We are amateurs and every play is a challenge. I have learned so much from this group.
                                      Sandra

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 15 6:44 AM
                                        Good grief! I think I sent a personal reply to the entire group. If I did I'm so sorry.

                                        I posted photos of our Oz costumes in "sandra's costumes". We used ironing board cover fabric over Fosshape. It looked great! The group's help and advice was so much appreciated.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 20 5:39 AM
                                          Glad to see the use of FOSSHAPE helped out in that Tin Man construction.
                                          Brian Jeffrey
                                          www.fosshape.com

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 20 7:50 PM
                                            I recently made some police badges out of scraps of Fosshape and my household steam iron. While they were very easy to shape and harden, the felt-like surface didn't look like metal. I smoothed out the surface by painting on some Sculpt or Coat and sanding it smooth after it dried. I was really happy with the result. They were very sturdy but light as a feather.
                                            Sandra