Re: Thompson cutting system - scales?

  • francesgrimble
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2012
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "sineuve" <sineuve@...> wrote:

      > Anyone?
      >
      > > Hey,
      > >
      > > I am sure some of you must have tried drafting patterns with the
      > > Thompson cutting system on costumers manifesto (http://www.costumes.org/history/galleryimages/c1899thompsonssystem/index.htm)
      > >
      > > I wonder how these scales look like, that must obviously be used to
      > > enlarge the patterns, perhaps like scales with units "a bit shorter
      > > than an inch" or other units depending on the size the garment is to
      > > have?
      > >
      > > Can you perhaps compute the units if you look at your own bust
      > > measurement and the measurement of the pattern...?

      The Thompson System used apportioning scales. For an explanation of apportioning scales, go to www.lavoltapress.com and then to the FAQ. Each publisher of pattern publications issued proprietary apportioning scales that worked with their own patterns. I have used apportioning scales to draft patterns, and yes they do work as a sizing method. I have published several books of patterns that use different apportioning scale systems. However, the Thompson System scales (specifically) are rare on the used market and have not been reprinted anywhere that I know of.

      Hope this helps.

      Fran
      Lavolta Press
      Books of historic clothing patterns
      www.lavoltapress.com
      www.facebook.com/LavoltaPress

      Fran
    • sineuve
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2012
        Thank you Fran!

        I thought so...
        so perhaps you CAN compute the units by comparing your bust measurement to the numbers in the pattern. You did something like that for your books, right?
        Then I shall try that.

        Great Thanks,

        Sineuve